Questions on Peafowl chicks...

taebarr

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Hello Everyone!

I was hoping someone here could help me. I incubated some peafowl eggs for my neighbor, only to find out he keeps losing all his chicks, because they wont eat or drink. Well I figured out how to get them to eat (will not touch crumble) sprouts and dandelion leaves. How do I get them on to anything else? They have the crumble and seed in the brooder with them. Only time they show interest in the water, is when I put their beaks in it.
Next issue is one was born with splayed legs. I have the medical tape on the chicks legs, and (s)he is getting around good (well as good as you could with your legs taped together). But how long should I leave it on for? I was figuring about a week.

Incubation is addicting, but chickens and button quails are so much easier!

Thanks In Advance!
Tae

Hi! I'm new here but have done peachicks for 2 years. Hard boil a egg, mash it up, put it on a lid, you can even put catsup on it (mix it up) as they are attracted to yellow and red objects. You really need a teacher- like a chick or a duckling to teach them how to eat. Peachicks are cute but stupid. Pickup the egg as they watch and drop it. It may take time but it will work. Use a spoon or dull knife. I used my fingers the first time and it still wants to peck at my fingers.(only one) It may take 2 or 3 days but then they will just take off. You can put sugar in the water to make it more attractve to them. I use 3 teaspoon to a pint. 1 or 2 times. Hope this helps!

Thank You!
I gave them some egg yesterday. I will give them some more later today. I did the open beak and put in mouth, then let them finish the job. What if I put some of the vita drops in the water? It turns the water yellow. I will try the sugar first though. My neighbor warned me they were stupid, but then depending who you talk to most animals are stupid. So, I was being stupid and didn't believe him...lol.... But I am finding out they are not the highest wattage light bulb out there. Issue I had with the teacher chick is the RIR are much bigger then the peachicks. Then the Button quails are smaller and they spook way to much! The next hatch I have scheduled should allow me to have some pheasant chicks for teacher chicks. So, I am hoping it will be a little easier.
Thanks Again!
Tae

Back
Top Bottom