Questions on sheep/goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by spiderman, Jul 18, 2008.

1. spiderman

spiderman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    The Sticks, VT
    I've been thinking about acquiring either a sheep or a goat, but I have a few question:
    1. For starters what is going to be easier?
    2. How much land is needed?
    That's all I got for now

2. poultrypal

poultrypal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    What I've learned from getting 2 goats....have good fences. [​IMG] Ours get into everything. Our wethered male was bottle fed so he acts just like a dog - we love him and he's been so much fun to have.

3. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Well it depends on how/where you want to raise them. Sheep are grazers so need good pasture. Goats are browsers, generally leave the grass alone but want to eat bushes, shrubs and things.
    My vote is goats, but then I'm a goat breeder! LOL

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Oh and in either goats or sheep you can't have just one or it will be totally miserable, they are herd animals so you need at least two of either. And having one goat AND one sheep isn't really a good idea either. Different feeds and they are bound to eat each other's which would be bad. Goat feed has copper which is toxic to sheep, and sheep feed doesn't have enough copper so the goats get anemic.

5. spiderman

Jul 18, 2008
    The Sticks, VT
    K. We were looking into it for next years summer project.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need 2 or 3 each for eithe sheep or goats. They do not do well alone. Bored and lonely they are very mischevious and destructive. They also can be escape artists. If your fence won't hold water it won't hold a goat.

Goats do not graze on grass. They eat brush and leaves and bark. They eat grass when there is nothing else to eat.

Sheep graze. The bahhing they do is very hard to get used to.

so, you are tick's older brother?

7. spiderman

Jul 18, 2008
    The Sticks, VT
    yeah

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Well we don't have much brush on our land. spiderman wants sheep, I want pygmy goat. What if they don't have brush? Also, what is easier to keep?
    Pygmy goat
    or sheep

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Pygmy goats. You need at least 2.

Sheep are not real playful. They are a bit aloof. They prefer to eat. Boy sheep are dangerous.

Goats have wonderful personalities. They are funny and want your affection and attn. You be good to them and those sweet babies will never forget it. Great pets!

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Pygmy goats. You need at least 2.

Sheep are not real playful. They are a bit aloof. They prefer to eat. Boy sheep are dangerous.

Goats have wonderful personalities. They are funny and want your affection and attn. You be good to them and those sweet babies will never forget it. Great pets!

how are the ydangerous? Just a way to get pygmy goats instead!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by