Questions on shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatieBugg, Jul 27, 2011.

1. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I recieved Silkie eggs early morning 7/23 and set them that night, they sat for over 12 hours to settle. I just candled today and am seeing viening in 2 eggs, just kind of dark in the tops of the rest and almost clear in 1. I am not seeing the air sac at all in any of them? I did have to bring them in and set in the bator a little bit ago as my broodies where showing great distress due to the heat, and to be honest, I would rather loose the eggs than my 2 girls!! I actually have brought the girls inside to the AC and will try to get them turned around again. I don't think I will let them brood during a heat wave again, lesson learned.

1.Eggs are days 4 today
    2.eggs were pretty warm when I got them. so I did not let them cool to AC room temp (74). I found a shady cool shady outside ( my temp in the spot was 92) to let them settle before putting them under the broodies.

These are my first shipped eggs, so I am worried about the lack of an air sac, I have hatched my eggs and local eggs with 99-100% hatch rates in my homemade bator. Is there pics of what shipped eggs can look like when candled, I have only candled NONshipped eggs and know what I am looking at.

ANY input or inspiration would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Try candling from the top to see if the air sac is visible that way [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Quote:I will give that a whirl, never thought about dong that, I was scared to move these eggs around too much lol.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

in really fresh eggs the air cell will be pretty small.. so sometimes it's harder to find.. (especially if the egg is speckled or a darker color.. quail eggs for instance, can be a pain to find the air cell in a fresh egg)

5. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Did you have any luck?

6. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    In a totally dark room, aim the flashlight up at an angle with the egg on it's side on the larger end from the bottom/side, you should see the air cell...crossing fingers!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by