Questions on shipped eggs?

KatieBugg

Songster
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Holts Summit, MO
I recieved Silkie eggs early morning 7/23 and set them that night, they sat for over 12 hours to settle. I just candled today and am seeing viening in 2 eggs, just kind of dark in the tops of the rest and almost clear in 1. I am not seeing the air sac at all in any of them? I did have to bring them in and set in the bator a little bit ago as my broodies where showing great distress due to the heat, and to be honest, I would rather loose the eggs than my 2 girls!! I actually have brought the girls inside to the AC and will try to get them turned around again. I don't think I will let them brood during a heat wave again, lesson learned.

1.Eggs are days 4 today
2.eggs were pretty warm when I got them. so I did not let them cool to AC room temp (74). I found a shady cool shady outside ( my temp in the spot was 92) to let them settle before putting them under the broodies.

These are my first shipped eggs, so I am worried about the lack of an air sac, I have hatched my eggs and local eggs with 99-100% hatch rates in my homemade bator. Is there pics of what shipped eggs can look like when candled, I have only candled NONshipped eggs and know what I am looking at.

ANY input or inspiration would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

In a totally dark room, aim the flashlight up at an angle with the egg on it's side on the larger end from the bottom/side, you should see the air cell...crossing fingers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom