Questions on Silkies NOW WITH UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsfoote, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So I've posted pictures of my silkie in question some seem to think pullet others roo...however I was wondering if only males get streamers or can pullets as well? Ethel doesn't look "roosterish" to me at all now wattles or comb or whatever that bump is on their beak "her" head feathers are still coming in so you can see where it isn't full so right now she has the "Elvis" look that everyone talks about roos having however with more of the feathers coming in its looking less like that "she " is going to be about 18 weeks old and she looks girly too me always has no crowing no eggs my booted bantie roos tried mounting "her" which ticked her off and caused a bit of a tussle but they do that to all the girls and NONE of them like it right now it even resulted in our buff brahma jumping and standing on one of them cuz she is top hen so if anyone could help me out here so confused and I don't want to have to get rid of ethel she is the only silkie i have right now and I'm not allowed roos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the feathers are still coming in on her head

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Silkies are hard to judge. Just wait and see if it crows or lays an egg. At 18 weeks, I would expect a crow soon, but not eggs. Good luck.

(Also, can you add some punctuation to your post to make it easier to read and understand? Thanks!)

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Congratulations! It's a GIRL!

4. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Racuda I hope you are so right everyone last time was saying roo and I'm like he has no walnut no wattles no comb what they were calling "streamers" didn't really look like streamers she's short and round and wattles around like a hen not built like a roo and I was going to cry if i had to get rid of her she is my favorite. I'm trying to expand my silkies but can't seem to find any

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think you have a pullet, but that tiny spikey crest sure says roo at first glance.

6. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    That's what people were saying last week and last week I believed them but she wouldn't sit still for me to get a good pic of all the new feather growth she is getting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by