Questions on smoking pheasant breast -

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Wynette, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    A hunter friend just gave me some frozen pheasant breast...I'd like to smoke it, but I understand that pheasant can be a bit tough to begin with - will smoking it make it even tougher? I have a Bradley smoker.

Would it be best to marinate it overnight before smoking?

Or, is smoking simply not the best way to cook pheasant breast?

Thanks!

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:I would cook it like you would a wild turkey...

To me, injection marinate it, and let it soak through... I would then either fry it, and crockpot it-- like I would turtle... or crockpot it the whole way...

On gamey, tough, type eating birds... wet heat is usally best.. There is nothing worse, than dried out, tough ole game bird, with very little flavor.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks - I was figuring that's what most folks would say, but hoping there was a way to smoke it. Sounds like that would potentially ruin it, and I'm looking for a good meal, not jerkey. [​IMG]

4. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    With any game meat that is lean Deer Elk Antelope or game birds. Or any lean cuts of meat you want to smoke. You will need to Brine it first. If you don't know where to find a brine recipe or need instructions PM me.

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you considered adding liquid smoke to a marinade? Maybe you can get a smoky taste using moist-cooking.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Eww. [​IMG]

Personally I'd rather smoke something or not bother with that route. Liquid smoke is what you get in store-bought meats. Fake and unimpressive.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:x2---we've used it alot besides the natural smoking-just a touch. use is for geese breasts-salmon-wild turkey-woodcock-grouse etc...it may be fake but there's nothing wrong with it if used in small quantities...

8. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:x2---we've used it alot besides the natural smoking-just a touch. use is for geese breasts-salmon-wild turkey-woodcock-grouse etc...it may be fake but there's nothing wrong with it if used in small quantities...

my mom was on this health food kick for awhile. you know, turkey bacon, ff salad dressing... fat free, taste free, not for me type food..

anyways, after awhile, everyone was tired of the turkey bacon...

I took it, soaked it in liquid smoke, and tabasco sauce.. stuck it on the dehydtrator... and it was honestly some of the best jerky I'd ever had... liked it so much, we even went out and bought a bunch of it just to do that with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by