Questions on the iPads

Ed62

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Calumet Township-NW Indiana
I don't know much about them, but I know you can surf the web and read books on them.

Q#1 - What else is special about them?

Q#2 - I've heard about apps for them. Is that kind of like an icon you click on to go to a certain site?

Q#3 - What is the typical cost for using the 'net? Unlimited access?

Q#4 - Anything else I should know if I'm thinking about buying for a Christmas present?

Ed

I don't have one, but I'll answer as many questions as I can.
big_smile.png

They have a large touchscreen and lots of apps. I think the large touchscreen is what makes them so popular, but it also makes them harder to carry around with you.

Q#2 - I've heard about apps for them. Is that kind of like an icon you click on to go to a certain site?

An app is an application which you can download onto your iPad, I believe. There are a lot of game apps which you can get. I believe that the Apple site has a list.

I'm not sure.
hmm.png

Q#4 - Anything else I should know if I'm thinking about buying for a Christmas present?

You might want to consider the Archos 5 internet media tablet instead. It's more portable, also has a touchscreen, and is considerably less expensive, according to a quick Amazon search. It does crash occasionally. though.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know a whole lot about them. But I think the cheaper one $499 connects to Wireless, so you don't pay for a service. The more expensive one $699? is it's own hotspot, so you don't need access to a wireless signal.

I was looking into them and heres what I know\\

they are neat they can be a great business tool for people on the go. The virtual keyboard it not designed for composing long messages or memos. you will have carpal tunnel syndrome real fast

yes, but an app is so much more. It is tools to do your job or play.. lol I have a dictionary on my ipod that i use all the time and the exchange rate when i am traveling ect...

there is 2 different types of ipads. one has just wi-fi which can be used to access the internet in a wifi zone. In some wifi areas the access is free sometimes you need to pay like at starbucks.

there is also a 3G ipad that you need a browsing service like from your cell phone provider. It is billed with usage. for a moderate plan it was like $50 a month here in Canada but the prices are depending on your ISP

GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!
Know why they want it... for most its the cool new toy... for some its an invaluable business tool... the starting price is around $350 and go up to $800

Last edited:
Quote:
My family got a free ipad because my Dad works for the school district and he is testign it out as a school device.
Answers:
1: They are GREAT for consuming, but not so great in creating.

2: yep
big_smile.png

3: no idea we get free internet (another perk of being a superintendents daughter)

4: Easy to use, great for watching personal movies or checking BYC, i love ours!

Quote:
You might want to consider the Archos 5 internet media tablet instead. It's more portable, also has a touchscreen, and is considerably less expensive, according to a quick Amazon search. It does crash occasionally. though.

Kooshie, not to hj the thread, but looked up the media tablet from Archos. So, these also connect to the net from a wi fi spot? I was reading about them and the stuff on amazon is a little confusing to the net dummy in me!

Quote:
You might want to consider the Archos 5 internet media tablet instead. It's more portable, also has a touchscreen, and is considerably less expensive, according to a quick Amazon search. It does crash occasionally. though.

Kooshie, not to hj the thread, but looked up the media tablet from Archos. So, these also connect to the net from a wi fi spot? I was reading about them and the stuff on amazon is a little confusing to the net dummy in me!

Yes, they can connect to the nearest wifi spots. It can be annoying if there are only ones with passwords, but it works quite well if the wifi thingummy isn't password protected.
I've used mine for web browsing quite a few times, and it works pretty well.

One big difference between the Archos and the iPad is the touchscreens. The Archos lets you "click" stuff with your fingernail, but the iPad only responds when you use your fingertip. So the Archos is better for people with longish nails (like me).
big_smile.png
Yes, I really am weird enough to notice a minor detail like that.

Back
Top Bottom