Questions on..well just need some help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lilcountry, May 13, 2008.

1. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Okay Ive seen some things mentioned that sound like negatives for Cornish Rocks or Xs or something..and Ive seen other things about different breeds and getting too big too fast or something? So are there breeds that your only suppose to raise for a short time b/c they get big fast and need to be culled? Is that why Cornish Rocks are not recommened? Any other breeds? If going to use a bird for meat how old is the best time to use for meat?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Cornish X rocks, or cornish x's are the meat bird of choice for table ready at 8 weeks. However they do have heart problems and so on. If you scan the meat bird section, you will find info on their problems and alternatives for fast growing meat birds.

All other non meat birds are fine to raise long term and to eat but will not get very meaty and take much longer.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:6 - 8 weeks is standard for a Cornish Cross. They literally spend half their life in the brooder.

Quote:They have been genetically programmed to grow at expense of all other qualities and thus have health problems are are not vigorous (very susceptible to disease).

Quote:By 'breed' you mean purebreed, which you can grow cockrels for meat but they are not very satisfying. All broilers are hybrids, so by 'breed' you want to look at alternative broilers. I currently reccomend the Red Bro broilers from JM Hatchery. They are identical to the red/bronze Freedom Rangers which sadly went out of business.

Quote:Broilers will be ready in the 8-10 week range depending on the variety you select. Some can even be pushed to 12 weeks.

4. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:The prefered meat bird of Caesars of Rome and England of old and my personal favorite, is the Dorking. Very fine texture and great flavor. Takes longer to raise than a Cornish Rock X but has no genetic defects and can actually reproduce itself. You also want to cook a home raised bird at a lower temperature at a longer time period so you don't dry it out and make it tough.[​IMG]

5. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    About how long does it take to raise a Dorking for the table?

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Like any purebreed you're looking at 15+ weeks.

Now, you breed a Dark Cornish to a Dorking, now you're talking about a great hybrid for the backyard.

7. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Thanks! So I have a BO, 2 of either a brown leghorn or Partridge Rock it is still undecided, 4 Wyandottes(2 silver,2 gold), 4 Golden Comets, and 1 something polish or something, none of them need to be culled at a certain point? And if I was going to, which one(s) is/are the best for eating and at what size/age is the best time to eat them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by