1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions , questions , questions and more question's--all about a roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by old geezer, Jun 24, 2011.

1. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    still trying to sneak a roo into the flock---[​IMG]--oh! look hon , what just wandered into the yard and was trying to get in the run with all the girls---[​IMG]----questions abound--as my going into kidnegarden granddaughter ...[​IMG].., and 2 yr old grand son ...[​IMG]...help this old fart feed the hens ,and for safty's sake-----what is the gentlest of roo's----for me , the quietest , and nicest looking , now an off the wall question ,with all the roo attacks i read about , is spur removal..... 1-painless for the bird-----acceptable practice?---- as you can see ,i know jack sh-t about anything with roo's------would you suggest a bantam---same questions apply , i was on utube yesteryday and the bantam crows i heard were cute , but very high pitched----all legit info will be greatly appreciated....[​IMG].

2. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    i had a very nice and king wyndotte roo! his crow strong and sweet. what type of bird do you have? He did strip feathers on some of me girls backs, only downside. Other then that he was perfect and if you happen to get a lame a** hole one they're big ang juicy. [​IMG]

3. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have Orpingtons, hens and a rooster and I think they have the sweetest dispositions

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I think picking a rooster from a non-aggressive variety is a good solution. My buff orpington rooster is a sweetheart, my silkie rooster was an aggressive little snot. A smaller bodied rooster can get farther off the ground as well, so something bigger might be better.

On spur removal, I think there have been several threads that address the issue. My BO rooster has self removed both spurs in separate accidents. They were snagged on things and torn off. They both bled profusely, but healed quickly. They have never grown back. This was only an issue once, when the black copper marans rooster went for him, and he couldn't defend himself. The BCM rooster found a new home the next day, 'cause I love Big Buff. I don't know that I would remove the spurs on purpose, but I'm glad he can't hurt anyone.

5. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    mom'sfolly :

I think picking a rooster from a non-aggressive variety is a good solution. My buff orpington rooster is a sweetheart, my silkie rooster was an aggressive little snot. A smaller bodied rooster can get farther off the ground as well, so something bigger might be better.

On spur removal, I think there have been several threads that address the issue. My BO rooster has self removed both spurs in separate accidents. They were snagged on things and torn off. They both bled profusely, but healed quickly. They have never grown back. This was only an issue once, when the black copper marans rooster went for him, and he couldn't defend himself. The BCM rooster found a new home the next day, 'cause I love Big Buff. I don't know that I would remove the spurs on purpose, but I'm glad he can't hurt anyone.

thank you--i also have 2 BO hens ,and inwardly ,was leaning toward the BO roo---the bantam was a wimscal thought at best---as far as the spurs , they will stay on--i was concerned on that issue as i know claw removal harms cats--but removing horn from a deer , or elk dosent 't---like i said , i know jack about roo's-----thanks again​

6. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I have a 5 year old Barred Rock Roo that's getting ready to show at the 4H poultry show for the 5th time tomorrow. He stands at 2ft tall and has never offered to do any harm. He always steps aside when I enter the pen and is easy to catch. I also have a white silkie roo that is 4 years old and he is the same way. On the other hand, I have a 3 month old RIR that is starting to challenge me and I will begin to pick him up and hold him by his feet until he submits. This seems to work but you have to be consistent.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I trust no rooster, no matter what breed, around children. When their are children coming the chickens are confined to the coop and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by