questions,questions,questions?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by theprimouomo, Aug 21, 2010.

1. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    SOO I HAVE THIS 3 CHICKENS THAT I BOUGHT FROM A LOCAL STORE THEY WERE CHICKS SINCE I BOUGHT THEM !

HERE THEY ARE 1 WEEK OLD [​IMG]:
    [​IMG]

AFTER 3 MONTHS THEY ARE THERE STILL CUTE:hugs:
    [​IMG]

THE RED CIRCLE SHOWS THE HENS THAT HAS NO COMB!
    Q: EM ASKIN WHY DOESNT SHE HAVE A COMB ?
    Q:WHAT BREED SHE IS ?
    Q:IS SHE A MEAT BIRD OR EGG BIRD?
    Q:WHEN DOES SHE LAYS EGGS?

THE YELLOW CIRCLE SHOWS THE HEN THAT HAS A FIZZY LOOKING HEAD (AFRO)
    Q: WERE IS HER COMB?
    Q:WHAT BREED IS SHE?
    Q:IS SHE A MEAT BIRD OR EGG BIRD?
    Q:WHEN DOES SHE LAYS EGGS?
    Q:IF TWO HENS AND ONE ROO WHILE THEY HAVE CHICKS?

THANK YOU [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I can't help you with the breeds, but they'll probably start laying around 20 weeks (5 months).

The only way you'll get chicks is if the eggs are fertilized (i.e. you have a rooster), AND the eggs are incubated (either by you or by a hen). If the eggs get fertilized, you can still eat them, because a chick won't grow without incubation.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They all appear to be mixed breeds. The two girls have combs, they are just still very small. As they get closer to laying, their combs will get larger (though how large and what they look like depends on the kind of comb), and deeper red in color. They will probably be decent layers and the average age for laying is around 20 weeks though it can be earlier or later depending on how the bird matures. If the rooster mates with them, you will get fertile eggs. They won't hatch unless you put them in an incubator or one of the hens decides to go broody and sit on them for 21days.

4. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks So Depends On The Comb If The Comb Is Large And Red They Are Ready To Lay?

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The comb will start to brighten and get to that red color we think of on a chicken's comb when they are getting ready to lay. It will get as big as it is going to get...some breeds have very small combs so they will never have very much there. The one with the feathers on its head is a Polish mix, not sure on the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by