Questions Re: City permit / inspectors (Cottonwood / Tehama county California)

LightedPrism

Songster
Nov 13, 2020
Cottonwood CA
So I am on 11 acres and we are installing a 2nd home as an in-law unit. The manufactured home guy just came out and said that inspectors will randomly show up and walk through the property and ask for building permits. This sounds pretty far fetched to me.

We are on 11 acres, the property is another 2 miles on a dirt road before you reach it.

I understand if someone would call them that is different, but I highly doubt my neighbors would call. we are on good terms with most, and the others would prefer themselves to be left alone as well.

So, my question is, has anyone heard of truly random, uncalled for inspections? and what do they do if they can not see any issues from a property line? (anyone looking would have to go through at least 2 if not 3 property lines to even SEE our home. )

Is this making any sense? I ask partly because he said that any building could only be 120 sq ft or needs a permit. my coop is over -his - limit. but with how out of the way we are should i even be worried?

You might want to put this on your state thread to get info about the specific location.

thank you. I wasn't sure exactly where this could go. I will do so now!

I would call the city/county and ask if a permit is required...... these folks may be running a scam to collect a little extra money.

Right? It just seemed so weird to me. I've never heard of inspectors looking for more work.

Is this making any sense? I ask partly because he said that any building could only be 120 sq ft or needs a permit. my coop is over -his - limit. but with how out of the way we are should i even be worried?
If you pulled permits for the house, and inspections are needed for occupation allowance, they may see the coop.

the inspectors only show up if you pull a permit for something. The only people that show up randomly (once a year) are the tax people to check if they can raise your property tax.
...or insurance people.

If you pulled permits for the house, and inspections are needed for occupation allowance, they may see the coop. ...or insurance people.

They were doing that in shasta county. Tons of people have built things without permits and the county was looking to get more revenue. If an inspector sees construction going on they can stop it. I have not heard anything in tehema county, but they are pretty low staffed these days. They are using contracted inspectors lately. However, the manufacturered home would be a state inspector. And if you have one installed it needs to be inspected for occupancy approval, like any new home. Any time you invite an inspector on your property they can check permits and enforce the code.

Legally you can only build a structure 120sq ft without a permit. They may or may not care. It is really hard to tell what inspectors will call. It depends on the inspector.

Yeah, They pulled permits and such already for the 2nd home. should be getting installed tomorrow or monday. I figure i'll get it all set up and when the house is done and move-in-able, then I'll put the coop fully together. its only a couple feet off and they wouldn't be able to tell just by going overhead because the roof will extend halfway out.
Pretty much will wait for the state / whoever to say my dad can move in. then tada my coop will appear ;) Lol. thanks to Aart and Stormcrow

Years ago I lived up north, on a private dirt road. Occasionally we had folks drive or walk on our property. They would claim they didn’t know it was private property, even though we had signs all over. The county also had an over zealous code enforcement department.... Well, one year we got in trouble for a mobile home being on the property. We had to move it and pay a small fine.

Im not sure what your plans are, but I think you’ll eventually be found out if you put a manufactured home in, without permits. (Code enforcement could check google earth or something like that too.).

Or if you are getting permits for the manufacture home, then maybe the building inspector will question the coop? I’m not sure (i think it matters on the inspector).

did you build the coop? (If you didn’t perhaps the building is permitted and you can check property records?)

yeah the coop isnt built yet, and im just going to wait fully putting it together until the inspectors are done with the 2nd home. which is permitted and such.

I mean, i wasnt super worried because not only would you have to go through 3 seperate fields / private properties on every side, you'd have to go down my own private street aways as well. i just thought it was so weird / annoying.

yeah the coop isnt built yet, and im just going to wait fully putting it together until the inspectors are done with the 2nd home. which is permitted and such.

I mean, i wasnt super worried because not only would you have to go through 3 seperate fields / private properties on every side, you'd have to go down my own private street aways as well. i just thought it was so weird / annoying.

Whenever you build anything on the property with a permit, especially a house, they need to be inspected. They are meant to protect you from bad contractors who do dangerous and shoddy work. But anytime you invite them on the property, which is what you will be doing, they can call you on things. For example, someone had a solar install and the inspector came to look at the solar. However in plain sight was a generator without a permit and installed incorrectly and in a dangerous manner. Now will they go walking around the property, unlikely. Unless they are given a reason. A state inspector is going to be there to check it for one reason. But again each inspector is different. Some are jerks and some are super nice and awesome. I can't say a whole lot with state inspectors, because I have not dealt with them as much.

Back
Top Bottom