Questions Regarding Bantam Cochin Eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BullFrogDog, Mar 14, 2017.

1. BullFrogDog

BullFrogDog Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been told and have read that Bantam Cochin eggs are supposed to be light brown/creme in color. Is there anyway a full bred Bantam Cochin can repeatedly lay white/off white/barely creme eggs?

We have one that I've actually caught in the act of laying lighter eggs than what I've been told they should be. Some are big, which I'm told aren't possible for her to lay by others and have read are not the size she should be laying.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Ours lays an off whiteish cream :)

3. BullFrogDog

BullFrogDog Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2016
    Heh, so mine aren't the only ones. I'm so glad, I was getting really confused for awhile there on the color^-^

4. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Our bantam lays a off whiteish cream and our standards lay a variety :) One lays one almost white, other lays a dark cream and the other lays a brown :)

5. BullFrogDog

BullFrogDog Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2016
    Oh that is delightful to hear, well, read! Thank you. Can't tell about my other cb that isn't broody, but now I know she may be the candidate for one of our mystery eggs.

I do have another question. Do you by chance weigh your girls' eggs?

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    No we don't weigh then, our scale broke last spring while weighing a tiny hen xD

7. BullFrogDog

BullFrogDog Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2016
    Lol, I bet that was an expirience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by