Questions regarding Mycoplasma/Respiratory Viruses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frenchiegirl21, Jun 9, 2016.

1. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Hello all.

I am on the tail end of what appears to be either an outbreak of MG or a respiratory virus that has led to secondary infections in some chickens. It started after some heavy rain (I am about 1.5 hours away from Houston, TX) in my group of 5 month olds. I have not brought any new birds in from other farms this year, only hatched from my flock. Based on symptoms, incubation time, spread patterns, and other observations I have determined either MG or a virus is to blame. Originally I thought it was wet pox (which is why did not quarantine the sick birds, because all my older birds have had pox at some point due to high mosquito numbers in Texas) but there are no lesions present in the mouth. If another chicken dies I will have a necropsy done at A&M to be completely sure of what they have. I am NOT depopulating at this time, mainly because our chickens are both livestock and pets. Anyways, I have some questions I am hoping someone has the answers to.

Regarding MG:
    1) What secondary infections have you most commonly seen? How did you treat them?
    2) I know depopulating is an effective "cure", but some studies have found MG in up to 80% of all backyard flocks. Does NPIP always test for MG? Do hatcheries get tested as well? It seems that finding MG free birds would be almost impossible, especially since they can carry without showing symptoms.....
    3) If I hatched eggs after dipping them in an antibiotic (it starts with a d.... can't find it right now) and kept the chicks separate, practicing good bio security, would they be considered clean or carriers?
    4) I have bantams kept in separate runs in the same yard as the sick chickens live, and they have no direct contact with the sick birds. The bantams have not shown any symptoms of illness. Is it safe to assume they are clean or should I assume they are carriers?

Regarding Viruses:
    1) What is the best way to assist my birds with overcoming a virus?
    2) Do viruses make the birds carriers or are they clean after symptoms disappear?
    3) I have a couple eye infections, possibly due to the high E. coli that has followed the rain. What is the best way to removed the pus and treat the infection? I can get pictures this evening or tomorrow morning if that would help.
    4) Once they have had this virus, are they resistant or is it like the flu in humans?
    5) Is there any effective way to prevent future virus outbreaks?

I'm sorry for the insane length of this post! This is the first real illness I have had in 6+ years of chicken keeping and I would like to learn as much as possible to help my flock through this or future illnesses.

Thank you in advance for any help and information!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    That was a very informative post Kathy. Thank you for sharing! It has given me some good ideas for treating the eye infections and also things to look for in those and other birds.

4. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    @casportpony I was able to mess with one bird today. I picked the sick roo with eye issues so that if I screwed something up I'm not out a hen. This is what he looked like before:

[​IMG]

He has the scabs that seem more like pox allowed a secondary infection to take over. I wasn't able to get during or after photos because I'm the only one in the family with a strong enough stomach to handle this. Here is what came out:

[​IMG]

Solid, but more the consistency of cheese. The sinus was clearly swollen after I got this out, but the rooster had had enough, and I didn't bring out anything sharp enough to rupture it. I tried manually expressing it, but nothing came out. There was no visible eye behind this blob, just more white cheese stuff. It's almost like whatever secondary or primary infection literally ate his eye in a sense. I filled the hole with triple antibiotic ointment (minus pain relief) and sent him on his way. Have you ever seen something like this? I wish I had gotten an after pic, but I was still wearing nasty gloves. I could see the swollen sinus that was putting pressure on the eye. It's almost like the swollen sinus cut off circulation to the eye, causing it to die. The bird smelled bad, but with the number of infections visible I'm not surprised. I don't think it's Coryza because the incubation time appears to be closer to a week. If he dies I'm getting a necropsy so I can figure out what's going on.

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @frenchiegirl21 , good job getting that put out. How is he today?

-Kathy

6. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    He is doing remarkably better! I also picked up some Tylan 50 for him and a few others that have the sinus junk really bad. He did NOT want his second shot today, compared to barely caring when I was getting pus out of his eye. I'm thinking he and the others had either IB or pox that allowed the sinus bacteria to take over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by