Questions to the Broody Hen Hatchers

Is a hen better than an incubator for incubating?

• Of course she is! Its her job!!

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Not my hens, they aren't commited.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She broods and hatches fine, but has no maternal instincts to speak of.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
Eastern Connecticut
To the peeps that have their lovely hens hatch their eggs....

How can you tell who will be a good momma? What would you say your hen's success rate is?

If last year was any indication, I have a persistent broody, who insisted on brooding nothing all summer. I would take her out, put her in a broody breaker cage, and she'd quit and literally three days later, back in the nest box.
This year, I'm thinking about letting her raise some eggs. I'm just trying to figure out if I should make an investment out of this, or not.

Thanks for your broody momma information!!!!

It varies from hen to hen, the only way to know is to let each who offers the chance, so that you can figure out who your good ones are. I let one persistent girl have a go last summer and she pecked everything that hatched to death. Her success was 0% so she's off the broody list. I've had very good broodies in the past, so far no one this flock. I had a couple others who offered but I didn't set them up with eggs and they quickly lost interest.

It's far easier for me to incubate if I NEED the eggs to hatch. I don't expect much from a broody's 1st attempt but in the past the best broodies got it right the first time and every time after that. That's when they get eggs that I WANT to hatch and they can take care of the chicks for me, stress free.

That one I let go last summer had her own nest spot in her own private stall, so that I would know exactly who messed it up. Other hens around can be problematic as well, so I always separate them.

Back
Top Bottom