1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducks4me, Mar 23, 2016.

1. ducks4me

ducks4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    East Texas
    I recently released 4 Muscovy ducklings. They were 13 weeks old. 3 hens 1 drake. My Ancona mix immediately fixated on the chocolate hen and proceeded to mate her- over and over. This is day 5 and she is missing. Do you think he killed her? I can find no feathers anywhere.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    released ?

3. ducks4me

Mar 4, 2016
    East Texas
    Yes, they were penned until I let them out on my pool.

4. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    She maybe hiding somewhere. If he killed her you would find the body. I'm sorry I hope you find her.

5. ducks4me

Mar 4, 2016
    East Texas
    Ok another question. Sadly I lost my brown hen. Right after she was gone he turned his attention to the white hen. She is now gone. The third duck we believe to be a hen he has not bothered at all. He has a mate who is laying eggs just wherever. I have never seem him mate her. What is the deal? She makes a nest, lays one or two eggs then the next day she lays in the water.?

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    ducks lay whenever and wherever the mood strikes them.

I let my girls out of their hut this morning and one made a beeline for the woods to go lay an egg...

Are your ducks penned up at night? If not, I'd suspect a predator taking your girls.

7. ducks4me

Mar 4, 2016
    East Texas
    We got game cameras. I have fox and coyote roaming my yard at night. The city animal control officer is working to decrease the population.

8. ducks4me

Mar 4, 2016
    East Texas
    How large does the door need to be on a floating duck house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by