1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 28, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Ok,here I go....

I have several hens.Usually I get broodies every year,but this time it is extremely more "frequent".Of course we have a third batch that is a year old.I have had hens who have never went broody,go broody.

I have one rooster who loves to nest,and show the girls where he thinks is best.I am almost wondering if he is "encouraging" them to sit?Could my rooster REALLY be the reason my hens are getting in a broody mind?

Besides them actually being broody,they do not all sit.Any idea?There are defiantly hens who either are not sure,but they act like it.Plucked breast feathers,aggression in the nest,puffing around etc.I just do not get why they do not sit!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many hens who are in the nestboxes to lay eggs will puff up and get aggressive when you approach them, it doesn't mean they are broody. Broody hens sit on the nest all day and only get off once a day for 5-15 minutes. Your rooster is doing what most young roosters do, showing the hens a safe place to lay. I don't think you have any broodies. Broody hens will quit laying egg, so if you are getting eggs they aren't broody.

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I actually had a bantam lay 2 eggs and she was in the process of brooding.These hens walk around puffy,have all the broody body language,but do not sit.Do you think their gona do like my other hens do?lay eggs,then stop and start setting,thats what all the other hens do.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some don't go all the way broody, they act broody but don't actually set, so may be you have one of those, they aren't common though. Your rooster won't cause broodiness, but another hen being broody can cause others to go broody too.

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    That may explain things,thank you.

The owner of my other bantam silver grey dorking said that she should literally steal other hens baby chicks,which makes me think that maybe she would go broody,not set,then just steal chicks without having to do anything at all.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have hens that just want to set and don't actually want chicks, so maybe there are hens that just want chicks. Broody hens can be weird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by