Questions?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FaithfullyGrace, May 6, 2017.

1. FaithfullyGrace

FaithfullyGrace New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Hello!
    I am new to raising chickens. My husband has raised his whole life. Never has he had them as "pets" like ours are. We have two. One is seven months, the other nine. Well they are somewhere in those age ranges. So I have a couple questions about my hen. I have done a ton of research on my rooster, and he is just a doll. I never have any problems out of him, other than his comb turning a darker color and I put vasaline on it and hes fine for a week or so. My questions about my hen are as followed.
    -She is so young, but still so small. especially compared to others. She is a DRI. She eats and drinks and lays a ton of eggs. She has been laying since she was aout 4 and a half months and we have had over 40 eggs from her. So why is she so small and is there anything I need to do?
    -Why does she try to fight the snake for her eggs? my husband was laughing because she kept trying to grab her egg, and it wasnt funny. I was screaming and ran in and grabbed her. He then took care of the snake.
    -The next question, she is always trying to hide her eggs, I am not sure from who, but she is laying them all over the place. She lets me take them, and everything. We have a nest for her, but she doesnt lay in her nest all the time.
    Please and thank you ahead of time for all help.
    Grace [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Snake? What snake? Wild or pet? Does it have a name? More details needed to comment on your hens actions, but if a snake was coming for my eggs, I'd sure fight it! It's rude!

Your hen may just be genetically small. Size doesn't affect egg laying ability or size of eggs. Chickens do gain a little more size during their second year so she may be a little larger in another year from now.

The only way to get your hen to lay eggs in a nest is to confine her to the coop for a few days until she gets into the habit of using a nest. Chickens develop habits and it can be hard to break them and get them back on the right track. It requires patience and persistence.

3. FaithfullyGrace

FaithfullyGrace New Egg

May 4, 2017
    It was not a pet snake. It was a wild snake. It was terrible, I am not from this state and this was a HUGE snake compared to what i am used to back home. I

4. Eggzilla

Eggzilla New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Florida
    Chickens can be mean! Mine chase squirrels back up our oak trees when then come down and I found a dead rat that got into our run and was peaked to death before.

I also agree with azygous ... some chickens are just smaller than others - even from the same hatch.

5. FaithfullyGrace

FaithfullyGrace New Egg

May 4, 2017
    LOL, That makes me feel better. I hate that she tried to fight the snake, but at least it was for a good reason. AND I am glad to know some are just smaller. I asked on another forum and was told it was because she was sick. I knew that did not sound 100% right. She acts healthy and she gets her electrolytes and everything in her water if I think she is acting funny and I cannot figure out why. I have a friend who is a vet too so I can easily call her and ask. I just don't want anything to happen to my babies. They are very special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by