1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Louieandthecrew, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Hello all,
    I'm soon going to set some of my own eggs (from my hens and roosters) but I've also been wanting to set some ordered eggs that are definitely pure-bred. I have many questions, but I'll start with my first.

Question #1: What are some good prices and places to order some fertile eggs?

I'm looking particularly for:
    Plymouth Rocks - Barred
    Welsummers - Red Partridge
    Orpingtons - Buff (Ordering McMurray Hatchery BO chicks in the Spring - 15 of them)
    Wyandottes - Silver Laced or Blue Laced Red
    Brahmas (Not as preferred)
    Australorps - Black

If you know of any other pretty, sufficient-laying hens/breeds, please tell me!

Thanks!

2. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    #1 would be check your state NPIP list, most have breeds listed that they carry of approved farms

#2 craigslist if they dont have them listed for your state put a wanted list either in the farm and garden or wanted areas

3. Louieandthecrew

Great! Thanks.

Any other sites would be great [​IMG]

4. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I would also say ask people at your church

5. Louieandthecrew

Hey guys,
    Do you think that this site is reliable? If you'd check it out that'd be awesome! Thanks [​IMG]

LINK: Chicken Hatching Eggs

6. Louieandthecrew

Quote:Very good idea [​IMG] Some of our friends from church actually gave us two of their hens a while back! I should look into that [​IMG] (I'd probably get them for cheaper too [​IMG])

7. Chickie15

Chickie15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] I like their Welsummers!

8. Louieandthecrew

Cool! I'll have to look in on ordering from them. I was also wondering, and I'm about to look and see, but do you know if McMurray Hatchery sells fertile eggs, or just chicks? I'm going to be getting 15 Buff Orpington chicks (Female only) from there in the Spring, and was wondering if I could also buy eggs from there to hatch! Do any of you know? I'll check it out now and see what comes up.

9. Louieandthecrew

Thinking about that site... Oh, how I want fertile eggs!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  10. Chickie15

Chickie15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Pennsylvania

Cool! I'll have to look in on ordering from them. I was also wondering, and I'm about to look and see, but do you know if McMurray Hatchery sells fertile eggs, or just chicks? I'm going to be getting 15 Buff Orpington chicks (Female only) from there in the Spring, and was wondering if I could also buy eggs from there to hatch! Do any of you know? I'll check it out now and see what comes up.

They do sell hatching eggs, but they only come in an assortment. So if that would be alright you can get them in quantities of 10, 20, 30 or 40.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chicken_eggs.html There's the link.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by