Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rgn87, Jan 22, 2011.

1. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    1. i let my ducks swim this morning for about twenty minutes, and then let them dry for maybe twenty more, and when I went to get them three were near death. Fortunately I was able to save two, but one of my black runners died. I had the same problem last year with my cayugas. They seem like they can't seem to dry themselves and they keel over and get real stiff. The two that survived seem perfectly fine, and they are running around with the others. Does anyone know the cause. For safety I am not going to let them swim until at least five weeks old.

2. I gave my ducks peas, and the natives were restless. It was hilarious they were going crazy for them. However they seemed to have a hard time eating them whole, should I hold off as a choking hazard, or just don't worry so much?

3. I was planning to let them live outside after five weeks which would be mid February. It still gets cold at night, should I bring them in at night or can they take cold weather once they feather.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    First, I am sorry to read about your loss. It is heartbreaking. Now, before we can offer specific answers, these questions about the details come to my mind. Please forgive me if I missed something in the original post.

Where are they swimming? Inside or out? What is the temperature of the water?

How old are they?

What is the temperature where they are?

How cold does it get at night?

What kind of housing would they have - how cold would it be inside?

3. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    swimming inside mostly warm water

two weeks old

temperature about sixty(inside) and 40 (outside)

now it gets about 20-30 degrees at night, but in feb it should be like 30-40

I have to build the house, but will do in feb

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

are you putting Niacin in their water, have you given them any Vitamins or anything like Vol Y Visol or Pedialite.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:At two weeks, I was still giving them a quick rub down to help them dry after a swim in warm water (like 80-90 degrees). Then let them run around for 5 mins or so in the bathroom before returning them outside to their kennel (outside was 90+ during the days when they were this age - August in the south).
    If they are inside, my guess is you are around 65-70ish degrees inside and they likely aren't drying well in that temp and are getting too cold.
    Get a hand towel and dry them next time and get them under their light to warm up

Peas - I deshelled and split them into 4 pieces in the beginning and then into 2 pieces until they could take on a full pea.

Sorry you lost one.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'd stick with no more than ten minutes to fifteen for swimming, and ditto the rub down with a dry hand towel into a warm (80 degree F) clean brooder after swimming. Those babies can catch a chill faster than you can turn around. Many of them live through it, but it stresses their little systems.

Are they getting grit? Anything other than crumbles or pellets may cause trouble if they have no grit to "chew" with.

I would not put them outside in February at five weeks. Not enough body mass, not enough feathers, not enough development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by