Questions?

karbear

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Auburn, Wa
So Wilma has bumblefoot. I have been bathing and wrapping and putting neosporin on. I hasn't gotten any worse. I even think I have another ointment that I have used the last couple of days that might even be working better than neosporin. I have not dug out any "seeds" not enough hands and the biggest bumble is more like a growth sort of thing. This photo is before I had done any sort of treatment.

My questions are:
Do I have to get the "seed" out to get it to heal? If so the biggest bumble would have to be completely cut off to even find a "seed". The smaller ones on the other toes I can see where a scab could be peeled back.
Maybe it isn't bumblefoot because of it not being in the center of the foot?
I bought Fish Flex (cephalexin) 250mg. Would that help to treat her even if I don't see systemic infection? How much and how long would I give it to her? Is it like forcing a pill down a dogs throat? Or should I wait until she is super hungry and spread it over her food and get her to eat it that way?

I know Bumblefoot has been posted about a lot and I appreciate all the information available and everyones help. These are my first pet ducks and never have had this problem with my chickens or the farm ducks that I have noticed.

It has been so wet and rainy here this season. I cannot wait to have some dry weather to get out and give the yard and pen a good cleaning and let everything dry out. I am also expecting shoes coming from Nettie soon so that way they can run about the backyard and I won't worry so much about the pine needles that we have all over the backyard.

Thanks everyone!

You will need to get the seed out or the bumblefoot will continue and not heal. Treatment can take a while- and it is very invasive- not for the faint hearted at all. Ducks can also suffer from foot problems that does not involve an infected core - Any chance you can post the photo again but larger??

77028_up_cose.jpg

77028_cloddddse.jpg

here is a couple of up close pics after a good soak

Back
Top Bottom