Questions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, May 21, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Umm first off I am traveling from FL to NC, a 13 hour drive straight through. My 2 babies are going with me, I don't know how to make them travel except in a old dog cage and put food and water in it with a towel. its decent size, would they be okay?

second off:
    my babies are almost 9 weeks old and when i get to NC, it will be 40 degrees at night time and 70's in the days. is it too cold?

third off:
    I put a stick from one side of the cage to to the other so they can perch on it and they love it ad sleep on it. question when my hen turns 20+weeks(when she starets laying eggs) will she use the obvious and get off of it to lay the egg or will she be dumb and try to ;lay it on the stick, making the egg fall and break.

PLEASE i need anwsers to all 3 of these questions.. it seems when i p[ost more then one i never get an awser!thanx!

2. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I will try and answer all 3 since you never get any response.

#1 They will be fine for the travel.

#2 They should be fully feathered by this age and will probably be fine. If it makes you feel better, put a heat lamp in for them at night.

#3 If you provide a nesting box for them, they will use it.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Just moved from Florida myself. (Melbourne) East Coast

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Umm first off I am traveling from FL to NC, a 13 hour drive straight through. My 2 babies are going with me, I don't know how to make them travel except in a old dog cage and put food and water in it with a towel. its decent size, would they be okay?

They would be fine. Make sure there water can't tip over.

second off:
    my babies are almost 9 weeks old and when i get to NC, it will be 40 degrees at night time and 70's in the days. is it too cold?

We are in north central nc and my chicks moved outside at that age they sould be fine.

third off:
    I put a stick from one side of the cage to to the other so they can perch on it and they love it ad sleep on it. question when my hen turns 20+weeks(when she starets laying eggs) will she use the obvious and get off of it to lay the egg or will she be dumb and try to ;lay it on the stick, making the egg fall and break.

They will go to the next box.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    They should do fine during the trip. I wouldn't leave water in with them as it will just spill and get their bedding wet. You may want to stop a time or two and offer them water during the trip.

As long as their new digs are protected from the elements and doesn't have drafts then they should be fine. If you are concerned then, I agree, put in a heat lamp. Just be so careful - if it's an outside coop there is always the danger of fire if the lamp falls or such.

Chickens have the innate desire to lay their eggs in a nest. By providing them with nest boxes most chickens will lay their eggs there. Some hens just don't seem to get it and will find their own nest somewhere (one of mine laid her eggs in the corner of my hen house and then buried them under the shavings until I put a board there to stop her.

If they free range they may find all sorts of neat places to lay their eggs instead of the nest boxes.

They won't, however, sit on their roost and just let one drop!

I know it's frustrating to ask several questions in the same post and only get answers to one or two. I've always wondered if people just kinda quit reading before finishing the post. Or, if they forget the other questions while answering Or, if the only know the answer to one or two of the questions and are helping with those.

5. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    wow! thank yall so much! yall anwsered the questions, thanx chirpy. also was wwondering
    i'm finding a awful lot of feathers in there cage, should they still be sheading?nothing looks wrong with them.

about the nesting box i don't have one and didn't really wanna pay $15 for one, do i need it?

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    You do need a next box. You could just buy a 5 gallon buket and they will lay there eggs in there. If they won't lay there eggs in the next box you can buy dummie eggs, to show them were to lay.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Out here in Colorado, we can go into grocery stores like King Soopers and go to the bakery department. Ask them for their frosting buckets. These are 5 gln. plastic buckets that are free (here) and work great for lots of things. You could easily make a nest box out of one or two of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by