Queston About Using Duck Eggs Found In Duck Pool.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Dec 2, 2009.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    We had to go out of town on emergency from monday the 30th to 12/2/. I was able to get the eggs monday morning..the ducks weren't put up monday night.. I found one egg by fence and one egg in ducks bath tub.. the bath tub was a little dirty. Can we eat the one found in the duck pool????
    thanks
    Christine

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    sure, just clean it up, good. They excrete a protective film, called the bloom, when they lay them, this prevents any bacteria or anything from penetrating the shell and contaminating the egg. This is why everyone is encouraged not to wash eggs for hatching as well.
    Aubrey

3. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you boggy for getting back to me..
    after setting in the ducks bath tub for a day and a night it was nice and clean when i found it when I drained the tub.. I rinsed it off it the house with some water.. and rub it to dry withp paper towel.. the other egg was layed in nest made in the ground with twigs up against the privacy fence that the bath tub was close to... Luckily the ducks were put in their night pen last night and shut in.. they layed in their nest there.. I hope we don't have another emergency for awhile . I worried about them every evening.. My prayers were answered because they didn't give the person hardly any trouble about going up the ramp...

Oh when I have to clean them out of the nest I just rinse them off with luke warm water and rub dry with paper towel.. Is this okay????

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    anytime!

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I scoop mine out of a 2 acre pond full of nasty! My ducks lay them along the shore right in the water! ARGH!

Anyways.... so yeah....

Sure, eat 'em up... I do!

6. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    vfem,
    LOL.. They make the cleaning easier.. but darn the water is cold right now.. it's been in the 40's and a little colder here the last few days.. I didn't look forward to pulling the plug on the ducks bath tub.. but then fishing them out of the pond every day must not be fun either ...

7. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

I just found a pond egg today. I washed it off and did the float test. It's fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by