1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quetions about incubating goose eggs.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylviaanne, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have 4 goose eggs in 5 days and I'm ready to put them in the incubator, unless more than one goose is laying, they are American Buff eggs. Saw her on the nest this morning and the egg was warm when she got up.

I read the other day about how long it takes to incubate goose eggs and read it can be between 27 days to 35 days but could still take another 3 days for them to hatch.

I read that for still air incubators that the temp should be 100 degrees.

I read I should use steel wool or sand paper to get most of the mud and poo off of them. I feel removing the mud/poo/clay from them is kind of important since it is recommended that the eggs be spritzed with water and I would like them not to be infected with anything before they even have the chance to hatch.

I read that the eggs should be flipped 180 degrees but I don't remember if it said how many times a day.

The site I was reading from recommended that the eggs be dunked in water the last few days before they hatch.

OK, I can do all the above but does anyone know of a concise, practically day by day description of how to incubate goose eggs in an incubator? With all the details?

Thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This is what everyone swears to on here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed I have never heard of putting the eggs submerged in water though that doesn't sound right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by