Quetro and araucanas ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrykeeper08, Feb 26, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I just got eggs from a breeder and i was just told today that The araucanas have alot of Quetro in them . Is that good or bad ?

Im sure some of you Araucana breeders will know . Any and all info would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    quoted from the araucana club
    ARAUCANA HISTORY

Araucanas have a most interesting and controversial history, having originated in a remote area of Chile ruled by fierce Araucana Indians who resisted European domination until the 1880’s. The distinctive traits of blue egg, tufts and rumplessness originally were found in two distinct breeds from this region. The first breed, named “Collonocas”, laid blue eggs and was rumpless. The second breed, called “Quetros”, had unusual tufts, but was tailed and laid brown eggs

If they have a lot of *quetros* then I would think you may end up with more tailed birds that lay more along the lines of green instead of blue because of the brown egg gene? That would be my take, but I don't know [​IMG]

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    The information i got was from some one else who bought birds from the breeder . I dont know if its true or not . I emaile dht ebreeder asking for pictures and such and asked if they had alot of quetros in them . All the eggs i got were blue.green

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

I got Black double tufted tailed hens, and i believe they all lay blue eggs for the most part..

Just depends on the birds and how they were bred.. [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by