1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick ?? about coolers to transport meat home

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bhale79, May 4, 2009.

1. bhale79

bhale79 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Hey, I am coming up on butchering day for my meaties, May 27th, and was wondering how many coolers, and what size, I will need to get the packaged goods home. All 45 of my meaties are pullets and will be one day short of 8 weeks. Just need a general estimate since this is my first herd.
    Thanks

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Ask who ever is processing your birds. They'll be able to tell you how many can fit in an average Styrofoam cooler with a small bag of ice. Also depends on how much processing is done on them, if they're left whole or cut down.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Dont they flash freeze them for you? I'd survive in a regular carboard box, or series of bags to get them home. Theyre frozen well below 0 and take eons to thaw from that point.

I don tknow how many coolers you'd need for fresh birds. My butcher is only 20 minuets away, i just toss them in bags and then put them in the freezer straight away.

4. bhale79

bhale79 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    The butcher does not freeze them, they leave them fresh. I think I will call and see what the Butcher suggests,
    Thanks

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    That's your best plan.. They'd most likely been doing this for decades and can tell you at the drop of a hat anything you need to know. I wouldn't be surprised if they also didn't have some suggestions on cooking them up.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by