Quick ?? about coolers to transport meat home

bhale79

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hey, I am coming up on butchering day for my meaties, May 27th, and was wondering how many coolers, and what size, I will need to get the packaged goods home. All 45 of my meaties are pullets and will be one day short of 8 weeks. Just need a general estimate since this is my first herd.
Thanks

Ask who ever is processing your birds. They'll be able to tell you how many can fit in an average Styrofoam cooler with a small bag of ice. Also depends on how much processing is done on them, if they're left whole or cut down.

Dont they flash freeze them for you? I'd survive in a regular carboard box, or series of bags to get them home. Theyre frozen well below 0 and take eons to thaw from that point.

I don tknow how many coolers you'd need for fresh birds. My butcher is only 20 minuets away, i just toss them in bags and then put them in the freezer straight away.

The butcher does not freeze them, they leave them fresh. I think I will call and see what the Butcher suggests,
Thanks

That's your best plan.. They'd most likely been doing this for decades and can tell you at the drop of a hat anything you need to know. I wouldn't be surprised if they also didn't have some suggestions on cooking them up..
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom