1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quick ? about my girls.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stormylady, May 12, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 5 cochin babies, 11 weeks old and when they follow me around and "talk to me" they kinda trill. All of them do this. And My EEs always kinda purr/growl softly no cheeping or balking when they follow me around or when Im sitting in the coop visiting them. Also the barred rock (Bonnie) makes a different type of sound all together, it is a high pitched long coos, sounds almost like a pidgeon only more of a steady smooth sound if that makes sense. My question is this, do particular breeds make particular sounds or does it all depend the individual chicken . Because the other breeds don't make these sounds and I don't recall them making these sounds when they were little babies. I don't mind the cute little sounds they make, it is kinda soothing and very relaxing for me. Does anybody elses babies make sounds like this, Thanks in advance for the Input, Sandy
    Ps: Seems like just when Im getting to learn alittle something about them they throw another behavior in that kinda sets me back to square one with them. I [​IMG] my babies![​IMG]

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Certain breeds might be more likely to make certain sounds (or not), but a lot depends on the individual. We have fifteen hens and one roo, all Buff Orps, and they make a bunch of different sounds. One honks like a goose. The roo ends his crow with a gargle.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I have two Barred Rocks now 7 weeks old, when they go into their coop at night the one keeps running back down the ladder like she doesn't want to go to bed! The other follows and then goes back up again, this happens about three times each evening. When they both are in the coop the one make like soft cheeping/cooing sounds almost as if the soothe her friend. They sit there twittering for about 3 mins (are they discussing the days events LOL) and then go quiet. I think it is very cute! I love there chicks sounds and wonder how they will sound when they get older.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:LOL made me smile, when I read your little story I was picturing my sons as very young kids, under the covers whispering. Trying not to get caught being up late. Its really amazing, these chick kids of ours, Ive always been a fan of dogs, because of there intellenge, and I have always (even though your not suppose to) attribute human qualities on them. But the chickens maybe because im new to them I was never expecting to see them do some of the things that they do, It just really really amazes me that that Dumb cluck yard bird, is a thinking being with a personality and distinct likes and fears just like anybody else. Everyone at works thinks Ive gone totally bonkers ever since I got these guys, I go into work with a different story about something new they do everyday, like it was one of the kids first steps or something, Even the fact that I have 39 chicken out side in the coop and almost all have names floors the people at work, Why would you name them they say, they could never learn there names! whats worse is these are people that own chickens, back yard flocks, and don't know the first thing about them, other than of course if there rooster is mean or not. Anyway I guess im just rambling on now, LOL hope everyone enjoys there chicks as much as I do. Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by