quick ? about my incubator temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gvntofly05, Jan 1, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I just set my eggs about 30 min ago. I've had my incubator running for 5 days and temp was dialed in perfectly at 100 degs. After putting in the eggs the temp doesn't seem to be going up. Will I have to readjust the temp again or just give it a few hours and the temp will regulate back to 100 degs after the eggs warm up?

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I would give it a few hours before you adjust but I have had similar experience. Do you have a fan in the incubator?

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'd leave it as is until tomorrow before I became concerned.

4. gvntofly05

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Oh ya, I forgot to put what incubator it is, it's a LG still air.

I kinda figured it is because the eggs are colder and they need to heat up but I wanted to make sure. Thanks, I'll try and not worry TOO much right now then! [​IMG]

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    You are correct as are the other responses. it should come back up if given enough time. I just wanted to mention that should you need to adjust it later remember that the knob on that LG is extremely sensitive and often the slightest turn will produce a big temp change. So if you do need to adjust it, moniter it closely so it doesn't get away from you. Good luck with your hatch.
    db

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:The Little Giants are reported to be very sensitive/touchy in regards to adjusting the thermostat. As others have already mentioned, if the temperature was satisfactory before placing the eggs inside I would give it 24 hours to "come up to temperature".

A modification that you can do to the LG is to glue/attach a large diamter (1" or so) knob/disc to the stem of the thermostat adjuster. This will help create more precise control and allow much smaller adjustments to be made. In radio lingo we'd call it something like a po man's turns reducer. The larger the diameter of the knob, the smaller adjustments are able to be made.

ETA: If you can find an old dial knob off of a tv, radio, whatever and use it then you can make a mark on the incubator to use for a reference mark...lining the numbers up with the mark. Or you could simply make some marks on a round disk cut out with a hole saw. Beware of having an incubator with a knob attached to the thermostat around little kids...knobs are meant to be turned (from a child's viewpoint [​IMG] ).

Just a thought,
    Ed

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would invest in a fan for it.
    The problem with styrofoam bators is they breath,and if the room temp changes it will also change in your bator.The fan will hold it steady.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. gvntofly05

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Thank you everyone, I think I will attach a larger knob to the dial, after this hatch, that would be a great help. I found out very quickly after I first set it up how touchy the thermostat is on the LG.

It has been a few hours now and the temp is now reading 98 on the mesh and 100 at the top of the eggs. It should be perfect soon. I knew I'd be nervous with my first hatch, I just didn't realize how nervous!

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sounds like you're getting it dialed in, gvntofly05.

I see in your tagline your eggs should hatch January 21st....that's only another 28,800 minutes more...more or less a few minutes.
    Hang tight! [​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Ed

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:If I were you I would raise the temp to 102, I set at almost the same time as you and mine are developing right on time, not too early, not too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by