Quick ?? about protein, please help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by noahsark, Sep 29, 2010.

1. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    My freedoms are at 7 weeks now and look good, however I ve had them on straight grain(wheat, barley, corn) and forage, and Im thinking they need more protein then they are getting..So the question is of my two local choices, do I want Gamebird pellet 25% OR Meatbird crumble 21%, and whats a gamebird anyway! Thanks ya all, I will hold off running into town untill i receive some confident answers..Also need to post a new picture, they look great!

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I would suggest the 21%. I'm guessing the 25% is probably a good bit more expensive, and honestly, chickens don't need that much protein. If fact, I doubt they can even utilize that %.

A game bird is what they used to use for cockfighting. Even though they are smaller than a LF chicken, they need more protein.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    A gamebird can be a pheasant as well....which many people raise....just not found in these forums.

I mix gamebird with the layer pellets when molt hits. Really helps speed that along and I can tell the girls feel better too.

4. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    All ross here, and process to happen in 5 weeks? I hope..Same cost..problem with crumble is it seems I feed all the wild birds as wel, but if 25 is to high, then so be it..

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If they are extra roo's I'd give them the 25%. I usually use 27% to fatten up fast. Roo's are bad and noisy.

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    these are for your freedom ranger cockerels correct?

i would think 21% would be just fine (that's what mine are getting at that age..).

7. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    I would go with the pellets myself, the chickens will handle it just fine, I have used it with my chicks before rather than buy some for the chicks and some for the guinea I just bought 1 large sack of the gamebird which the guineas had to have.

8. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    Quote:That's a tip I'll put into action. Thanks.

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Go with the 21%.... buy some bird seed for the wild birds, it's cheaper.

10. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Give them a little of the the 21% mash and whole corn and they will fatten up fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by