Quick Advice...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kab, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi there...

We have 34 leghorn chicks who I am not sure what to do about. My husband mistakenly mixed the electrolyte mixture that our feed store recommended putting in their water 4x more than the pack said to. They seem to be seizing but slowly getting out of it...the ones that might make it through it. Many of them have died. Should we cull the remainder of them that seem to be sick or allow nature to take it's toll?

Help!

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    I don't know.......maybe you can see if they just pull through. Update me tomorrow.

3. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Seems like my little chicks are extremely strong! I figured we would a least try to give them a chance - you never know, the chick you save might be the one who lays 600 eggs a year [​IMG]

We have lost 4, but that number is a lot better than the 12 we thought we had lost. After a warm bath, a blow dry until fuzzy and cute, and some warm water the ones who didn't seem to be able to hold their heads up are doing okay. I am sure they have a somewhat long road back to complete health, but I am hoping they will make it through it.

They are amazing little animals.

4. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Kab.....Im not an expert, but I wouldn't think vitamin/electrolyte powder would do that. You may have something else here.

How old are your chicks? Where did you get them from? What type of feed...(medicated/non)? What are they living in...floor material etc???

Please info in your thread to let us help!

5. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I'd recommend lots of water if you can manage it. In a human, too much potassium can kill. Good luck to you and your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by