quick brooding light question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cavendish Chickens, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, so I know if you leave a bright light on too long it can mess a chickens sense of time up. I also know that for reptiles, they use two different heat lamps. bright during the day, and dark (black light style) during the night. Would that same deal work for chicks fresh in the brooder? (No chicks yet... planning ahead.) The thing is... they will be staying in our bedroom until they can go outside... SO... looking for a less BRIGHT way to keep them warm so we can sleep. lol I was thinking heating pads, but I don't want too many things plugged in. Ideas?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    A red heat lamp with a screen cover placed around the bulb. Make sure it is at a safe distance.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Perhaps the light does effect the chicks sense of time, but there is no choice. They have to have constant heat. With each passing week, they won't spend much time directly under the lamp, and you can raise it a bit. The chicks will self regulate, moving to and from the light circle, as they feel comfortable. The brood box needs to be much larger than it first appears. They need lots of room and become active, well, actually crazy active within three weeks.

Once feathered out and in the coop, without a lamp, at 6 weeks, they'll adjust quickly to the day/night routine.

4. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I've raised chicks before... so I know the activity level. But it wasn't many, so we used a heating pad. Worked great. But this time, we will need something that gives heat to a bigger area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by