Quick Bunny Questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FrizzleFreak, Mar 28, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

My English/Satin Angora is eight weeks old(almost). At this point, I should be feeding him as much as he'll eat, right? He's growing so fast, but he does have a little bit of a pot belly...
    Also, he likes chewing on my clothes. Is that normal?
    <I'll share pics later, haven't gotten them off the camera yet>

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Rabbits will chew and actually need to. It helps thier teeth. Do you give him wood to chew? As far as food. I have never really limited their food and have never had a problem with them getting too fat. I feed the regular rabbit pellets, but I'm no expert.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  3. FrizzleFreak

Well, he spends a fair amount of time chewing on his hutch [​IMG] don't worry, non toxic. None of the rabbits in his family have shown a need to chew, but I'll see about it. I was kinda worried it was because he didn't like me. [​IMG]

4. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    With our NZ Whites we feed ad lib until they are around 9 weeks old. Then they are given about 1/4 lb of food a day. Most do great with this way of feeding. Or you can try giving x amount of food a day. If the rabbit eats all of it then the next day give a bit more until there is always a bit left over the next day. Depends on the rabbit though. Some seem to gain weight just breathing in the air:).

5. FrizzleFreak

My friends did say to keep the food full so that you can tell if they've been eating, or if they've got wool block. What is the importance of pot belly in young rabbits?It was in the 4-H terminology, but it didn't explain the significance?

6. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    They need to chew because their teeth keep growing, I give my rabbit a few dog toys she loves them! [​IMG]

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You should free feed babys up till they are 6months old.
    they do the most growing from birth to 6 months old.
    restricting feed at this stage will only slow the growth.
    if he has a potty tummy give hims ome hay to chew on, where its an angora put the hay in a hay rack or in a dish so it doesnt tangle in his fur. hay and fur equal a nightmare brushing session.

8. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I stop free-feeding mine between 8-12 weeks, depending on the rabbit, when it was weaned, etc. From then on I used the 'one ounce per pound of bodyweight' guideline and adjust as needed.

9. southerndraw

southerndraw New Egg

Jan 7, 2009
    Balch Springs
    we have been raising rabbits for 20yrs + we wean our kids at 4 wks and from then on they are given approx 8 oz or beanie weanie can a day and are stock is healthy just my opinion

10. FrizzleFreak

Wooly Rabbit Owners/Breeders: How do you keep the salt lick from gooing up the coats?! We have a red salt lick, so it looks like he's bleeding [​IMG] I hate combing it out of his wool, cause it mats the fur, and he doesn't like it either. BTW, any special kind of wood that I should give him to chew? We have a lot of maple (as in 5 tons), so that would be kind of ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by