Quick! Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Wee Bird?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RowanTheRed, May 29, 2017.

1. RowanTheRed

RowanTheRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    I need help identifying a baby bird.

And before I get scolded, WE DIDN'T bother a nest. This wee bird literally hopped up to Ron and started chirping at him. Its right eye is swollen red and matted closed. I gently cleaned it with sterile cotton swabs dipped in saline and it can open it now. However, it wrong go away. Its approximately a week old (by the feathering) and can almost fly a bit, but still needs help getting food. I need help figuring out what it is so I can figure out what to feed it!

I have experience with this a bit because we ended up with a day old robin last spring after it fell from the best when its siblings were eaten by a crow. We successfully raised it for almost 3 weeks before it was able to fly away and live I its own.

At first I thought it was a mockingbird, but its way too small for that. It doesn't have the correct markings for a wren. Perhaps a finch or something like it.
    Here's the tiny one I need help identifying

20170529_121356.jpg

And the hurt eye
    20170529_121302.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this wee one?

2. wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    What state do you live in? Looks like a young sparrow

3. RowanTheRed

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    Guess that would help! I'm in South Carolina.
    I think it might be a house finch

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Awww, it's so cute! So nice of you to take care of the little thing! Sorry, don't know what it is though.

5. RowanTheRed

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'm pretty certain its a house finch. Not as easy to raise as a baby as Rocket the robin we raised last spring. Because this one is still to young for seeds it requires a soupy mix of sorts.

I'm going with poultry electrolytes mixed with boiled egg yolk, oatmeal and soggy cat food. Its all I can do I a short notice and I'm preparing for company for my son's HS graduation!

Oh, and I'm pretty certain the wee thing had a bird form of pink eye. So, disinfect disinfect disinfect and Kitts of washing hands before interacting with my chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by