Quick Coop Help!!

GoldenGalsNC

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
North Carolina
Hey Y'all!

We recently delved into the world of chicken keeping, and were lucky enough to be given an old coop for free. Trouble is, we were grossly misinformed as to how many chickens could live in that coop! We had planned on building a bigger, better one over time, but now it looks like we need to get something ASAP!! We have 4 gals who are about 4 months old. We would love to put together a coop that is at least 4X4X6 or so....and do it as quickly and affordably as possible.

If anybody has hints, tips any guidance AT ALL as far as the best way to go about this quickly, economically and come out with a sturdy coop that will last.

Thanks SO much!

If it helps...I am located in central NC and would be all for sourcing free/cheap/recycled type goods.

How big is the coop you were given? If your chickens are outside or in a run during the day, you could get away with a smaller coop. If you mean your free coop is too small for 4 hens.. Can you cut off a wall and make it a bit bigger for now..?

I agree pallets are cheap but definitely not quick. The quickest thing I can think of is just using plywood, but it's not cheap. Several years ago we made a coop built on a 4x8 pallet in an afternoon. Covered the pallet with a piece of plywood, framed with 2x2s with two windows opposite each other.. Walls were old boards salvaged from someone who took a barn down a few years previously. We took the not-so-nice pieces as the coop was only 4-5' tall and rotten ends were cut off (literally ones that were warped and laying on the ground for 3 years - they were fine for our coop). Roof was a sheet of old tin we found sitting somewhere. This housed 4 hens for a number of years, they had access to a run and free-ranged while we were home. Now, ~8 years later, the coop is a shed for garden stuff, still dry and intact!

Depending on your location, you could potentially find good-enough materials laying around your neighbourhood. :)

Thanks for the quick replies! The coop we were given is one of those small tractor type coops, with enclosed area underneath, but not on wheels. The interior square footage is low....just under 6 feet....but there are 2 roosting bars in there, and they all snuggle up on one. They are in the coop from the time they put themselves up at night until I let them out in the morning....usually between 7:30 and 8:00. During the day they have access to an 8x12 enclosed area that their coop is in. This is an old dog kennel that we've put a hardware cloth cover on and done some other minor reinforcing. We have also been trying to let them free range the yard when we're home on weekends.

One idea we've had includes the shed, which is about 4 feet from the enclosure where the coop is. We've thought of extending the shed roof all the way out past the enclosure, putting up a couple walls in the middle....making the coop in between with access to the enclosure.

Still open to other ideas though....I hate feeling rushed with this!

Hey Y'all!

We recently delved into the world of chicken keeping, and were lucky enough to be given an old coop for free. Trouble is, we were grossly misinformed as to how many chickens could live in that coop! We had planned on building a bigger, better one over time, but now it looks like we need to get something ASAP!! We have 4 gals who are about 4 months old. We would love to put together a coop that is at least 4X4X6 or so....and do it as quickly and affordably as possible.

If anybody has hints, tips any guidance AT ALL as far as the best way to go about this quickly, economically and come out with a sturdy coop that will last.

Thanks SO much!

If it helps...I am located in central NC and would be all for sourcing free/cheap/recycled type goods.
None of that adds up to 'quick'.
'Quick' would be buy a shed and trick it out for chooks.

There's a ton of coops here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs
And thru out the https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance forum.

Back
Top Bottom