1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick-developing pullet or slow cockerel? I can't tell!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alexandra33, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, one of my Mille Fleurs has a larger, redder comb than the girl, but yet it's smaller and paler compared to the definite boy. I'm very confused! [​IMG] Does anybody have an opinion? They're over 5 weeks old now.

Barracuda, the cutie in question
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now for Piranha, the boy, to compare.[​IMG]
    The two of them together;
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. vicki017

vicki017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    To me it looks like a male but I have 1 right now that is similar to what your experiencing and it's 5 weeks old too but different breed, does it act like a female? Mine acts like a female rather than a Roo

3. Alexandra33

Might I venture to say that it really doesn't act like either, most of the time? [​IMG] Although it does like to spar with Piranha, it's more low-key and easily dominated.

It's so hard to tell, though, because my Porcelain cockerel acts like a female. [​IMG] I honestly think this whole guessing game is going to drive me bonkers!

Thanks for your input!

~Alex

4. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

I know how you feel! Mine has been driving my crazy being the biggest one of my flock and the comb made me think male but acts like a female most of the time (but my other chickens who I'm pretty sure are pullets act bossy and then he/she gets bossy too) fingers crossed both of ours are female! I'll show you mine on next post

5. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Alexandra33

Okay! I guess if we wait it out, we'll know for sure at some point. But waiting is the hard part! [​IMG][​IMG]

~Alex

7. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

Oh trust me I HATE waiting to find out but I try to keep myself busy and keep telling myself "they change almost every day I gotta figure it out at some point! :lau

8. Alexandra33

Oooh, that is a hard one! [​IMG] I can see why you're stumped.

Ha ha! I feel you there! I think that's true for most of us. [​IMG]

~Alex

9. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

It figures I get the weird ones! /).- (You'd get it if you knew me lol)
    Yeah the waiting game is the worst game there is besides the "who can be quiet longer" game :lau

10. Alexandra33

Yeah, I always end up with oddballs, too! [​IMG] But that could be because weirdness is drawn to me like a magnet, or in other words, I'm strange. [​IMG]

I'm good with being quiet, but waiting? [​IMG] [​IMG]That's another story!

~Alex

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by