1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick egg question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wexford Chuck, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Wexford Chuck

Wexford Chuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Hi could anyone tell me which of my birds could have laid the egg on the right, the blue one on the left i know comes from the Cream Legbar and its too light to be either the welsummer or the Maran.
    it has a chalky white residue on it.
    All the birds are around 24 weeks old.
    any help on this would be appreciated so i know which one to thank
    Cheers Del [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

eggs get that every so often. Im not sure who laid it, but I can tell you the egg is fine to eat. Just rinse it off like you would any other egg

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    My bet is that it is from your Light Sussex. My Speckled Sussex lays the same colored eggs.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Light Sussex, Buff Orpington, and Black Langshan are your possiblities.

If the Langshan, it should continue to lay eggs with the chalky residue. That's what makes their eggs eventually look plum colored. [​IMG]

5. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    thanks for that, thats narrowed it down a bit. it may not be the langshan as i only got her sunday evening and she is still a little nervous around the other hens.
    i will be watching like a hawk again now i know another is laing.
    Cheers [​IMG]

6. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    One of my barred rocks lays eggs that color.

7. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Both my Sussex and my Rocks lay eggs that colour although the Sussex is a little lighter than the Rocks.

8. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    After a weekend of continued vigulence [​IMG] , "Rocky" our Barred Plymouth Rock left us a nice shiney new egg in the nest box [​IMG] thats 2 laying now only 6 more to go.
    so the girls got grated carrot and yoghurt and a treat and they hopped off it. [​IMG]
    hopefully the rest of the girls should be easier to distinguish between their eggs [​IMG] .
    cheers [​IMG]
    Del

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by