Quick egg question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lelu, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    [​IMG]

My quail must be happy, cause yesterday I got eight eggs outa six ladies [​IMG] . One of the girls produces these peach eggs that have a blue hue when you crack them open. Is this normal? or is it a sign of diet deficiency?

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Looks and sounds normal to me. What are you feeding them, that you would even consider a diet deficiency?

As to 6 ladies and 8 eggs. How late did you collect eggs the day before? Sounds like you have a few late layers. That happens around here from time to time, but not very often. Don't want predators sniffing out those eggs at night. When that happens though, I make sure I have that light on before dark or if it has been I leave it on a half hour longer. I have no idea why that works to get them to lay earlier, but they do.

3. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    We do an egg and quail check every night just before we go to bed. We move them from their run into their pen around 6pm, because that's when the cats seem to come around. Most of my girls lay in the evening. Our light turns on from 6-10pm and the pen is near our bedroom window so we keep an ear out all night.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Once, one of my females started laying 2 eggs everyday, I think she was either eating too much, or she had alot of day light. [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quail lay one egg a day. You must had some hiding. UNLESS lighting, but that is rare.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Get The Occasional 2 A Day. It Is Rare And Usually From Younger Hen, But Does Happen.

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    It's a 2 egg in less than 48 hour period. It happens here, when weather temp/humidity are just right. Let me guess...Low temp 45, high temp59, and 45-60% humidity.

The "chalky" coating is normal, and some hens consistently apply that coating during the paint phase, but it means nothing as far as hatch-ability goes.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Funny, I just today called quaillady to tell her that either I have a 2-egg laying button or a girl that looks like a boy. I got 2 eggs from one of my button pens today. I believe I got only one from that pen yesterday but did get 2 the day before. So in a 48-hour period she lays 3 eggs?? Apparently this is pretty consistent, I'll have to start marking my calendar so I can make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing.

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:It's probably hen confusion. Did I get 1 egg per hen per 24 hour period, or 2? It gets even more dicey, the more pens you have. I don't know a thing about buttons, crows, or magpies. Writing things down can only help my friend.

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I had a "pair" of Silver Tuxedo Buttons and every day would get two eggs. I really thought I paired them up. SO....I vent sexed both and both were female...GO FIGURE! Thankfully I had a lone Silver Tuxedo male that needed a mate and picked one lady for him [​IMG] The egg number went back to one a day [​IMG]

If there is a light on all the time somewhere, it CAN confuse the poor hen into laying two eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by