Quick, Fast and Dirty Broody Hen Coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Smuvers Farm, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    I have my one emo, Xena, with eggs coming for her by Saturday. In the meantime, I have already moved her out of her flocks coop and into our mini run. I placed a milk crate inside of it, put down a rubber nesting pad, covered in pine shavings and tossed in her fake eggs. I put the nesting milk crate INSIDE a cardboard box, just to keep out any elements IF it happens to rain or anything.

I'd like to put together a quick, small coop. I was thinking just getting a dog house, as that's about the size it would need to be... and no roosting bars or anything. Anyone have any ideas? Quick plans? Again, it only has to be big enough for her and her nest.

BYCforlife likes this.
  2. sannabelle

sannabelle Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Rural Missouri
    As long as it's safe from predators and the elements I would think a dog house would be fine. Will she have food and water available to her? When my Broodies are in separate areas from the flock I give them their own food and water :)

twisted-acres-farm and DeilaMiah like this.
  3. Smuvers Farm

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    Yup! She's set up with food and water.

4. sannabelle

sannabelle Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Rural Missouri
    She should be fine then! Also- ventilation. Of course she needs to stay warm but there should still be some fresh air coming through. Lord knows those broody hens get HOT!!!

DeilaMiah likes this.
  5. Smuvers Farm

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    LMAO trust me, I've got the ventilation thing down! I read the link posted in @aart s signature... within 24 hours I'd bought the necessary tools to drill more holes in our 2 coops and cover them with hardware cloth.

Thanks!

6. sannabelle

sannabelle Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Rural Missouri
    You're in great shape then!! :lol: Enjoy your baby chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: