quick ? for you... are chickens livestock???

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ashylove, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ashylove

ashylove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    our handbook says specifically no livestock... do chickens count? (not that it matters... i still plan on having them) i just need to know how cautious i need to be... and if there are any arguments i can have ready!!! (ie.. chickens are not livestock) any help? and no i do not plan on having roos... too noisy for us... that would get me in trouble for sure!!!

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm don't know where you live, but here in s. florida, where I live, they are livestock. My dumb animal control told me I've got to get rid of my chickens, but, I can keep my ducks??? [​IMG] I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep my babies.

3. your_pal_skip

your_pal_skip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Boise
    Where I live (boise), it depends on how many you have. Three and under are considered pets and are allowed in the city, four or more birds are livestock and require a permit.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:thats what I'm hoping for, to get a permit, I'd surely pay for it, no questions asked.

5. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    Quote:lol... is the 3 as pets rule the same when they are bantams? we are in nc(and military [​IMG] )oops... haha [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    To me, nope! They are considered pets just like your house birds! [​IMG]

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Usually the code will specify what is considered "livestock", but generally chickens are listed under "poultry".

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Thats the way our ordinance reads here In Macon Co. Il. Sandy

9. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    here is what the dictionary says:
    livestock

noun
    any animals kept for use or profit

10. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    Quote:so if i dont sell the eggs i am good? same with a cow... if i dont sell the milk i should be fine!!! lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by