Quick! Goat owners!! Check this out

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jerseygirl1, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  2. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I just use cheap dog collars for my goats. Guess I didn't realize they make special collars and leads for them.

3. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    Try and get break away collars. goats have a way of hanging themselves fatally with collars on.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are going to put collars on them to stay on permanently, then you want the collars that can break away. The cheap dollar store dog collars would work well. I buy the small size ones for my Nigerians but since Pygmies would have a thicker neck, you may want to buy the medium size.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    My vote is collarless.

We don't put collars on any of our animals. A collar comes in handy if you need to hold on to an animal or take them for a walk. Goats should not be tethered on a line. A handfull of treats will eventually make most all animals your best friend. No need for a collar even for hoof trimming. All you need is a hand full of treats and a milking stand. I made a simple head clamp from a 2x4 on the goats play ground area. I suppose a break away collar would be OK if you are wanting decoration on the neck of your goats. Just my 2 cents worth. [​IMG]

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I use regular dog collars, but I only put them on if I am going to walk them. The kids enjoy putting them on a leash and walking them around the yard. The goats really seem to like the attention too.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd probably play it safe and go with the medium sized ones.

I don't see any problem with putting a collar on a goat just to walk it around. That's what we did for years. Never left the collars on in the pen, but that was never really necessary either. Those collars would be just fine for temporary use when you want to lead them around.

8. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    the Dollar Tree has $1.00 collars and $1.00 leads to go with them. I use these for my goats.

Break Away Collars are a good idea, but make sure you have a different collar that won't break away while you are leading.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by