1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quick growing plants that chickens LOVEE....???? any help..:)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AlicesSilkies, Sep 12, 2012.

1. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Gang!!
    My friends chickens have completley destroyed her back garden, sooo...i need to know of any quick growing, yummy plants that i can plant as a surprise for her and her chickens...
    They need to grow back quickly and look kinda nice..

thanks soo much guys!!

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    This is a wonderful idea! You can grow her some ornamental kale. I don't know how quick it'll grow, but it looks pretty and the chickens will love it too. Also spinach. Fairly fast grower and you get different types and colours.

3. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooh thankyou, i love the spinach idea [​IMG]

Anybody else got ideas??

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Ours are crazy for parsley and swiss chard. They also go wild for dandelion leaves, but...prolly wouldn't want to "plant" those, LOL Clover is excellent but doesn't need to go in a garden...just any old patch will do for it.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Any of the leaf lettuces. Black Seeded Simpson is very fast growing & attractive.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Fast growing that they love? Mine like radish tops, and any type of "green" just about. Chard is a favorite but it's not as fast growing as turnips, radish, and mustard greens. I don't grow any of those for myself since I dont' like them but for the chickens, they're great.

7. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    How about a Pakistan Mulberry or Fig Tree?

They love the shade, dropped fruit, it's a quick grower and they can't destroy it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by