quick hand turning question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Mar 27, 2012.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hi guys.....i've never hand turned before. my bator is so full that i've taken the turner out. anyway, i'm turning 5X per day. can i go down to 3X per day and the eggs will be fine? my shipped eggs are being turned in cartons, so that's pretty quick. but all the local eggs are laying on their sides and each have to be hand turned individually.

2. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    What I read said three times a day was fine. I was doing the same, til I got a second incubator...than I thought, oh, now I have more room... This can be dangerous [​IMG]

3. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    ok thanks! i'll just do 3X a day after today. yes, i had a 2nd bator too....last year i sold it to a couple and they have yet to pay me. i even called them before christmas hoping they would pay me and at first they tried to pretend like they didn't know me...then they "remembered" and said they would "send it in the mail" and i havent heard anything. so they stole it from me. amazing people can be that way and live with themselves. i would feel horrible if i stole a dollar, lol! anyway, hatching is VERY addictive!!!! i tell my hubby that it could be worse, i could be addicted to other things. often times he catches me looking at the eggs in my bator and says "so you're looking at.....eggs......are they doing anything interesting?" lol! and this is during just plain old incubation, not lockdown. i don't know why i look at them. i just can't help it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    That is how I am too. I have no idea what I am looking for, it's like the eggs are calling me. [​IMG]

5. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    yes, and a bad thing to do is to look at the auctions....just to "look"...lol! i actually did pretty well this year, didn't plan on hatching, then a friend of mine wanted me to hatch some eggs for him....SSSOOOOOO.....that got me to thinking...hmm....maybe i need to hatch some for myself too! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    3 times a day is plenty. I removed my turner for a batch of ducks and geese eggs. There's a lot to individually turn, so I place my open palm on the eggs and just kinda swirl 'em around a bit, gently. Works for me every time.

7. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanks! i'll have to try that!

8. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Ok, so you only need to turn them three times a day... I dont know why I even use a turner, I am over there looking at eggs every hour or so, I could turn them. I tell myself I'm checking the temperature. Other times I pretend I'm looking at something else (even though the incubator is the only thing there) heeheehee
    Very addicting

9. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    [​IMG] yes, you are so right! most of us probably just STARE at the eggs anyway, at least 20 times a day!! [​IMG]

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Tell me more about turning eggs in cartons. Do you just prop up one end and switch the higher side when you turn these eggs?

As for the eggs on their sides, everything I've read has said that 3X a day is adequate for chicken eggs. That's what I've been doing and so far all of the eggs that were fertile seem to be doing well. Of course the disclaimer here is that this is my first hatch and I'm only on day 8. But so far, so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by