Quick hatching egg stoarge question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, Oct 31, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    well i got some eggs in the mail about a day ago...also i have about 5 pullet eggs from my own girl that i have collected over the past 4 or 5 days. My question is...the eggs that have yet to hatch in my incubator are on day 23...."i usually go to day 24 or 25 to be safe". I have plans to do a Thanksgiving hatch and i have a few more day's untill i need to set the eggs. So....should i just keep storing the eggs in my 70 degree dark closet...or throw them in the fridge??? I know with every day that passes the hatch rate drop's.....so i have ben tossing this around in my head since yesterday. Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

NO, do not refrigerate.

ETA: Actually, you should get those eggs in the incubator as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less likely they are to hatch.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any eggs should be stored between 50 and 65 with slightly high humidity for optimum hatchability. Fridge is too cold, generally.

4. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:yes i knew that. thanks 4 the heads up. i had just seen ppl talk about hatching eggs from the fridge and it got me thinkin.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It works on occasion, but you do lower your chances if you try to hatch refrigerated eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by