Quick hello and possible breed ID help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by treslilbirds, Mar 13, 2017.

1. treslilbirds

treslilbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    First time chicken lady here! *waves*

We got our first batch, well mine actually, hubby raised chicks as a kid. Went to Chick Days at TSC on Friday and picked up 6 pullets. I lost one yesterday morning unfortunately (RIP Lil Dixie Chick), but I was honestly expecting to lose a few based on research I had been doing...but the manager at TSC was very nice and let me get another baby at no cost yesterday and she is FULL OF IT. I had to name her Boogers...because she is one lol!

So i got 2 leghorn pullets, 2 RIR pullets, and 2 that they had labeled as "Pullet Gold Sex Link". The poster said that they are a cross of RIR Roos and Plymouth Rock hens. I'm curious as to what they might look like when they're older, or if that is even the right breed description? They are SUPER sweet, my one little mix fell asleep in my hand earlier and was peeping in her sleep....I thought I was gonna die from the cuteness.

They remind me of my RIR chicks, but they have little speckled wings. I love the barred pattern (is that the right term?) of black and white on Plymouths...I hope my girls have that! I included a picture of the babies in question.

Oh and I have to share names: My 2 RIR's are Reba and Fancy. Leghorns are Boogers (pictured in my avatar) and Scarlett. My mix babies are Vivi and Siddalee. That's Vivi in the pictures. :love

Thank you so much and I've been learning so much from you guys, this is my new favorite place. :jumpy[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Melody the Goat

Melody the Goat Out Of The Brooder

They both look exactly like all of my RIR's have looked like. [​IMG] They always have those cute speckled patterns while they are little, but eventually they mature into beautiful dark red RIRs.

3. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Hmmm...interesting! So these are pictures of what I believe are my RIR chicks...they look similar to my mix babies, but the wings are white not speckled. This is Reba :)
    Are they actual RIR's or are these the gold sex links and maybe TSC had the labels wrong?? Oh well...I love them regardless! :love

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:jumpy

1 person likes this.
  4. Melody the Goat

I forgot - [​IMG] and what cute little chicks! Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! [​IMG]

They are definitely Sex-Links. Tractor Supply probably got the labels wrong. [​IMG]

Here are our two current RIR chicks. Meet April & Elsie. We have 18 other chicks besides them and of many different breeds too! (BTW, that's Verity - the Lamancha goat - she was very interested in what I was doing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Pics of babies in their brooder. I'm using the seedling heat mat method vs a heat lamp bc I'm paranoid about fires. The lamp just has a red LED bulb in it for me mainly so I can see them at night. The mat keeps the temp pretty much perfect in their little box house. Glad I read about that on here. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Thank you! Love you guys! Ok so just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly...the red babies with whiter wings are the sex links and the red babies with speckled wings are the actual RIR's? Love goats! That's my next obsession project when we move and have more land . :D

7. Melody the Goat

Yep. [​IMG] You can see that my RIRs and your RIRs all have that itty bitty horizontal line of black right behind their eyes - none of all the RIRs I've raised have been without it! I think it's a breed characteristic.

1 person likes this.
  8. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Ha! Well I'll be darned. Silly TSC. Well I guess I got my names mixed up...I picked Reba and Fancy for my reds bc well, redheads lol. But I guess they shall be YaYa sisters instead haha!! Thanks for clearing that up for me!! :highfive:

1 person likes this.
  9. Melody the Goat

You're welcome! Love your chicks' names!

1 person likes this.
  10. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Thank you! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by