Quick help! 2 Not hatched, broke the eggs, babies are alive!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Littlechick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Littlechick

Littlechick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    So yeah, what the subject line says. A total of 4 did not hatch, and it looked like the Mom abandoned the nest, so we broke the eggs open to check status. Two were dead, but two started peeping very quietly. I have them in the house, in a shoe box, under a light. They're moving, and breathing ok, but I'm not sure if I doing things right. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance!

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Are they all the way out of the eggs?

If not they're going to need a moisture source to finish hatching. Wrap with a damp paper towel and keep them warm until either they free themselves or until they've rested awhile and warmed up.

If they're out and you have karo syrup, let them rest an hour and warm up, then mix a little karo and warm water and give them a little of it with a dropper or syringe.

Do NOT use raw honey. Sugar water is okay but less effective.

Even a few drops can help a lot.

If they're not all the way out there is a whole discussion of how to help up on the Hatching READ ME - thread.

3. Littlechick

Sep 26, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    They're all the way out. One is now opening it's eyes. I'm so nervous. I really don't want to lose any due to my mistakes.

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    you probaly saved them, if you did not crack they would have not made it, Is there still a good amount of blood or no? Let them come to all the way keep them very very warm. when they start walking give them suger water.

5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Is the yolk sac all the way absorbed or can you tell?? Just keep them warm and hope for the best. [​IMG] Keep us updated!

6. Littlechick

Sep 26, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    Update. One of the two we thought was dead is not! It's been brought into the house, and as part of the egg was still there, I wrapped him in a darn paper towel. It fell off pretty quick. Yes, all the yolk appears to have been absorbed. There was only the tiniest bit of blood on each, a bit more on the newly found chick. One's going nuts trying to stand up now. Keep the help coming. I'll update as more happens. I really appreciate the quick responses.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Karo syrup works better than sugar water, just a drop or two, then let them rest again. Don't give it if they're still cold. If you can wait til they're up, do it then. If they're not up in an hour give a drop or two. Keep them warm and let them dry out, watch for panting. Panting is too hot, move the light.

Corn sugars are more easily digested than cane sugar. That's why animal rescuers keep Karo on hand.

Karo white is best for newborns and the very young.

HONEY is NOT an option. Raw honey has bacteria in it that is not safe for newborns and the very young. Raw honey has killed human infants and toddlers.

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    do you have a thermometer to tell how warm it is where they are at? I would say 95 to 99 degrees will be good. That is amazing the 3rd one is alive!!! They may rest awhile and hopefully they will keep trying to get up and move.

10. Littlechick

Sep 26, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    How long does it normally take chicks to be able to stand? I've got one scooting all round the box, with short intervals to rest, and it's been just over an hour since we brought them in. I'm ok with it taking a longer, just curious if there's a "time limit".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by