Quick Help...brooder Light???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2txmedics, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Hatching since last night, I need to move chicks to the brooder...they are trying to peck and eat eat shells...poop and the newly hatched...so...Im out in the country...only thing around is a dollar store and they close in 20mins....question, honey bought one of those auto hanging lights, PLASTIC....dummy...well I put a bulb in it 75 watts wasnt on 6mins...and it got HOT...WHAT CAN I DO???? SMALLER BULB, WITH A DIFFERENT FIXTURE????

ALSO...THE ROOM i HAVE THEM IN IS LIKE 89-MAYBE PUSHING 92 NO A/C ON IN THERE...I WALK IN AND BREAK OUT IN A FULL SWEAT AND I DONT SWEAT EASY...I mean that room is hot!!!!!

do they need a light if its that hot?????

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Supposedly they should be at 95 the first week, but mine were usually a bit too warm and moved away from the light unless I dropped it a bit. I'd guess that your 90+ room will be perfect for them. If they seem a bit chilly, throw a towel over part of the brooder; bet they'll be fine.

3. wolfie

wolfie Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Maybe grab a bulb without a cover on it and put aluminum foil on it and wrap it around like a funnel to make a heat lamp or brooder light. I don't know if it will work but if it does it was so totally my idea [​IMG]. If does work tell me so I can try out next time. [​IMG]

4. muell112

muell112 Songster

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I read too that it is 95 the first week and -5 degrees every week after that. If your room is that hot I think they'll be fine. If they huddle together that probably means they need it a little warmer.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    First, step away from the incubator! [​IMG]

Second, put a thermometer in the brooder box at chick level.

Third, stop staring at the incubator. Because I KNOW you are! [​IMG]

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Oh gosh, your watching me!!!! I just got back from seeing them....A.G.A.I.N!!!!...temp in brooder is holding at 98..with a light, one of those doom lights and a bulb of 75 about 14" away from them, but remember the room is already warm...there eating and jumping....

3 hatched in bator and have 4 more coming how long do I give the Cuckoo Marans and RIRs before I say they arent gonna hatch...those were the bad shipments.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    2 or 3 more days, or until they stink/weep. Some eggs just take longer. Now go do something useful, because I am watching you! [​IMG]

If the brooder is too warm, try raising the light.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I keep the temp around 90 to 95 degrees (closer to 90 degrees) the first week. I only used a lamp at night during my chicks first two weeks. It was hot enough during the day that I didn't need to provide any heat.

Here they are at 2 weeks. The temp outside was well into the 90's.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Cmom....there cute!!!! and you shush Sally...Im gonna go shower and watch some tv...HONESTLY...no chickens for hmmmm maybe til the movie is over???....its 925pm here been doing this now since yesterday and tomm. I have a procedure at the drs office...
    Im gonna chill with my boxer Jumangi on my lap as I watch tv...*cross my heart*....I cant eat after midnight, so ....I really cant stay up late because Ill get thirsty or hungry....[​IMG] so I will have baby rest...and they will hatch without me AFTER MIDNIGHT!!!!! not before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: