Quick Help Please. Broody hen...chicks a' hatchin'!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrownChickenBrownCow, Nov 5, 2011.

1. BrownChickenBrownCow

BrownChickenBrownCow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    I have 15 RIR hens, Barred Rock hens, and 2 RIR big boys. They all get along just fine. Roosters are not aggressive.
    A few hens do so some pretty good rooster damage...but otherwise healthy.

One of the RIR hens decided to sit on a clutch. Well today a see a lil baby chick peeking out from under her! [​IMG]
    The coop is plenty big...she is in one corner--under the community nest box mounted on the back wall. Anyway, I'm. It sure if I am sposed to do something or just let em be.
    Concerns...I don't have any chick crumbles. Only layer pellets and then gamebird feed for my quail...I think it is medicated though.
    My feed store is closed tomorrow. I think TSC is open though. And the baby chicks ant get to the waterer, ao i need to do something there Other concern is the other chickens...are baby chicks safe in the coop w everybody else?
    I do have a 3x8 brooder I could move them too. If moved...put mama in there w em? Plenty of room in the brooder.

Long story short...I searched first, but didn't get a real clear answer as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advance all!

Oh...I get home...and I got quail hatching in the incubator today too! Big day on "The Farm". [​IMG]

2. BrownChickenBrownCow

Apr 9, 2011
    Sorry for all the misspellings. Posting from my phone.
    Thanks again for any advice.

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I would put them int he brooder so the other birds don't kill or attack the chicks. if the game bird feed is crumbly you can feed it to the chicks until you get chick starter

4. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    or crush the pellets for a day or 2 till you can get starter feed.

5. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Babies live the 1st 3 days after hatching on the yolk, they draw it all in right before they hatch, so a day with out food will be ok as long as they have water, and I have in a pinch used lay pellets crushed up in a blender, but that's a band aid on a broken leg, it'll put some food in their tummy's till u can get chick feed though and I'd say move them and mama to the brooder box

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. BrownChickenBrownCow

Apr 9, 2011
    A lil more info...before I left, I tried to look under her. She was not overly pleased with this! lol. But looks like this one is the first to hatch. I could see several other eggs...one about to hatch. I will check em again early in the morning. I assume I don't need to be moving her until hatching complete...but how about the chick...should I take her on out of the coop and leave mama in there to finish her work w the rest of the eggs?
    Thanks again!!!
    Michael

7. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I'd say leave baby until they are all out, but idk, we are about to deal with our first broody hatch here so I'm not totally sure about the leave or stay thing? We've always just hatchery catalog ordered our chicks or we got them as day olds when I was in 4H so I've never dealt with them hatching my self?

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Wet the crumbles a bit and they will be mushy soft. [​IMG]

9. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Leave the chicks with mamma and don't mess with her for a couple more days until the eggs are all hatched. THen move them all to the brooder ... don't give any food for now, just get a waterer that the chick could get to if it really needed to - but usually the chicks stay under momma until she moves, again only once she feels they are all done hatching. The layer is not a good idea at all and really isn't needed. Also you will probably need to put some marbles or stones in the water trough so the chicks don't drown in the beginning... just for a couple of days until they have their balance and a little more savvy. The one problem I am thinking of is, are the eggs all at the same stage of incubation or have other hens been laying in there. In that case you may end up with some dead chicks as momma has to get off the nest after a couple of days and take the little ones that have hatched to go and feed etc. Don't lift her up at this point, you don't want to damage the eggs that may be at a critical point in the hatching process.... it is hard but just wait [​IMG] Then in a couple days take her and the chicks that have hatched and put them in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by