Quick Help Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Uncle Marc, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    Got 19 one day old chicks Monday. All was going very well until I just got home from work a minute ago. The temp right under the heat lamp was 95 when I left for work and nobody was home all day so it apparently climbed to 120, but there is plenty of room in the brooder for the chicks to have gotten away from it.

All seemed to be sleeping, but I woke them to make sure they were okay. All got up and moved around, eating, drinking acting normally except for one.

It is off by itself, seems to be unable to stand. When it tries to get up its wings flair it flaps a bit, rolls over and lays down breathing hard.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I am no expert, haven't had any problems so far (fingers crossed). Sounds like getting her to drink water might help, use a dropper if necessary. There is a product called Sav-a-chick, it's basically electrolytes might give her some energy and fluids. I think you can also give infant electrolytes to her since it's late enough you probably can't get the sav-a-chick tonight. Also have heard some honey mixed in water might give her some energy.

3. juliezoo

juliezoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    I haven't had any trouble with our chicks or hens either, but we also raise parrots and have had to occasionally use Gatorade if I felt like a bird was dehydrated. Another product I *love* is Rescue Remedy which I get from a health food store and will never be without - for both us humans as well as our pets. I have seen it bring birds back from total shock (neighbor's tiel had already closed his eyes and drawn up his legs when she finally brought him to me and I thought he was certainly dead). Just a couple ideas... I also like the honey idea - I use that for my laboring moms (as a midwife).

4. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    Too late. Lost the chick.

5. juliezoo

juliezoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    So very sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by