Quick Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lotsochicks, Nov 8, 2013.

1. lotsochicks

lotsochicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    I have 12 pullets that are about 3 months old. Yesterday I went in their pen and one of the pullets was on it's side and wouldn't walk. Today it died. Today there are two more that are the same way they won't walk and the hair at the top of their head stands up straight. They are black and red sexlink.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Thanks,

Hannah in OK

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Were they vaccinated for Marek's? Very common disease.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would rush out to the farm store and buy some Corid (amprollium) in the cattle meds section. They may have coccidiosis, and the earlier you start treatment the better. Corid dosage is 1 tsp or powder or 2 tsp of liquid Corid in 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. After treatment give them vitamins and probiotics (or plain yogurt) to replace the gut bacteria and vitamins lost. Even if this is not the cause of their illness, the treatment will not hurt them and may save their lives.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, paleness, diarrhea, poor appetite, fluffing up, and ruffled feathers. If you can't find Corid buy sulfadimethoxine (di-Methox, Albon, or Sulfamed G.) It is an antibiotic sulfa drug that treat cocci and other illnesses.

5. lotsochicks

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks sooo much for your help!

I was wondering if we should clean out the coop before the disease is gone and put in new bedding or should we wait till the disease is gone to clean it out?

Thanks,

Hannah in OK

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The main thing is to keep it clean and dry, and keep the feeders and waterers free of droppings. If you can let them outside in fresh grass and fresh air, it will do them good more than staying in the coop. They should start to improve in 2-3 days. If they develop any other symptoms let us know. Chickens are hard to diagnose sometimes.

7. lotsochicks

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by