Quick! Help with struggling newly hatched chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kmpcfp, Mar 31, 2017.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I had an egg that was pipped for over 24 hours and the humidity dropped overnight and the poor guy got stuck inside. I used a cotton swab to moisten the membrane and got him free, but he is exhausted and just laying there. Chicks that hatched after him are up and fluffy.

Anything I can do for him/her?

[​IMG]

It has been an hour. He has only lifted his head a couple of times, and moved an inch or two.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Hatching is a very tiring process, especially if the hatch was difficult. Just let him rest, he should be up and moving eventually

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If you have a tractor supply company or a local Feed Store go down and get a bottle of Bovidr Labs poultry Nutri drench .give the chick one drop only by mouth. repeat as needed every 8 to 10 hours until it's perky . put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water for the first 10 days to get the chick off to a strong start. great for all chicks . if you don't have access to the Nutri drench go to Walmart and pick up a bottle of poly VI Sol infant vitamins without iron . use the same dosage as for the Nutri Drench. the Nutri drench
    is better because it's formulated for chickens instead of humans . Plus, it does not need to be digested .it
    mainlines directly into the bloodstream
    . measurable in 11 minutes , all natural.
    HTTP://www.nutridrench.com
    Best,
    Karen

4. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Thanks! About an hour after I wrote that he was up and running. Just needed some time :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by