Quick hen death :( Reason??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katewward, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Katewward

Katewward Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello everyone. I am still new to this forum and while I searched for topics pertaining to my hen's death I did not
    find exactly what I was looking for. Each topic seemed a bit different so please excuse my posting if this is duplicate.

My 6 1/2 month old Buff Orpington, Brigit, died yesturday 10/4. On 10/3 I noticed that she did come out of the coop with the others but did not move much. She hugged the wall of the run and walked very very slowy. She did not eat a thing. Her abdomen wasn't distended, her vent looked ok but she was pretty continually clenching her muscles as if she was trying to poop but couldn't. I thought perhaps impaction or egg bound. 10/4 My husband and I decided to watch her to see how she did. We isolated her from the flock in a nice warm box with water while we cleaned the coop. I checked on her often and she looked awful. Color wise she looked normal. Comb and all was a nice red as if she was about to lay. We were looking into a chicken vet in the area when I noticed she had a watery foul smelling discharge from her vent. It had a tinge of mustard yellow to it but mostly it looked like water. I felt for a bound egg but found nothing. We put her back in her box to rest while we searched for a vet. A few minutes later she had her eyes closed and was dead.

None of the other chickens are having problems. What do you think it could have been? Aside from getting her to a vet what could I have done for her? My poor little girl. I feel so bad. Thank you everyone. Kate

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Was there any blood present? Generally speaking, a bird that has had an egg break inside of them will pass on fairly fast, within 24 hours or so.

3. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Awe, so sorry that you lost a precious girl. I don't have any answers for you, wish I did. It seems that chickens can pass away at any time and we may never know why. I think you did the very best you could and remember that she had a better life than any factory chicken will. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    she might have eaten something that was blocking her intestines.
    [​IMG]

5. Katewward

Katewward Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Thank you for the kind replies.
    Now that you mention the blood, rodriguez, I did see some blood but it was on a funny spot. There were splatters of blood on the back wall of my feeder....no where that a hen could have sat. I thought maybe a hen had a pecked comb or something. I didn't think it related but there was also a bit in one of the nesting boxes a few days prior. Hmm I hope the poor girl wasn't in too much pain. [​IMG] It really doesn't make much sense, but I am new to the chicken world. I'll have to keep a close eye on the others.
    Thank you everyone!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by