quick!! how much to sell a hen for who is close to laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raimnel, Aug 8, 2010.

1. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

thats the question... got someone coming over to look at hens... and I don't know how much to sell them for???? the hens are 13 weeks, 14 weeks and 18 weeks!!!!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. jayne

jayne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    atleast $20.00... each

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Depending on what area you live in, they can range anywhere from $10-20. Also, depends on the breed.

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    dont know if its any help but here i sell 12 week olds for €4, 16 week olds for €5 and €18-20 week olds for €7 (thats prices for chicken crosses, proper 'breeds' of chicken i sell for much more)

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It vary's so much by area I don't know what to tell you. I think checking your local CL and seeing what people are asking would be a good place to start. I sold some last year for $25 each, but $15-$20 is more common around here, I got more because I did a backyard variety pack--BA, BO, EE, and BR and she really wanted those breeds for her starter flock. I also priced mine on the high side because I wasn't really sure I wanted to sell them.

6. raimnel

Thanks for the quickness.... our local CL has them for $4 -8 a piece. HOWEVER no one any where near me has hens for sale their all 45 mins+ away from me. I was thinking $10 a piece for RIR and brown Leghorn who are 13 weeks. and $10 a piece for 1 year olds that are already laying. and $7 a piece for any one else! what do you think???

7. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Sounds about right to me.

8. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Been selling 15-20 week olds on CL in SW OH for $8 ea and thats not negotiable. They dont go really quick all the time but they do move at that price, but I have room to keep them and dont feel pressured to wheel and deal. Thats not bad considering they cost you 2 bucks a pop from a hatchery and you've put the work into raising them. Hope that helps.

9. wingznut76

wingznut76 Out Of The Brooder

I guess I am pretty fortunate, I recently purchased some golden buffs of CL for $6 each that were 16 weeks at the time. They had RIR same price. No eggs yet but I have heard the egg song from a couple of them.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. raimnel

ok thanks everyone!! I sold 1 RIR and 1 brown leghorn for $10 a piece and a fluffy silkie/EE mix for $5. plus a coffee can of feed. ALL for $30! I think that was reasonable concidering for $5 you could have almost bought half a bag of feed. Any ways THANK YOU for the quick response!! You guys are the BEST!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by